weighing machine calculates weight or mass

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 06:49 am
If your answer is weight then why our weight on calculating from weighing machine is in kg?? The SI UNIT of weight is NEWTON.

If your answer is mass than why in a lift when we calculate our mass from weighing machine is displaying zero?? BUT our mass can never be zero.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 266 • Replies: 6
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 11:19 am
@KAPISH KUMAR SUNGAR,
Most 11 year olds learn the following in physics,

Weight is usually measured in kgf ('kilograms force') which we shorten to 'kilograms' in conversation. On Earth a mass of l kg has a weight of l kgf (=appx 9.81 Newtons) due to the Earth's gravity and hence a 'weighing machine' also gives a measure of 'mass' because mass and weight on Earth are numerically equal.

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:05 pm
@fresco,
That's not what I learnt. I was told the mass of the ass equals the heat of the meat over the angle of dangle. It might have been Physics, PE or Applied Dance, one of the sciences anyway.
fresco

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:10 pm
@KAPISH KUMAR SUNGAR,
The lift scenario is irrelevent because the above numerical equivalence is valid only for vertically stationary objects on Earth without further acceleration affecting g=9.81 m/s^2
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:13 pm
@izzythepush,
You obviously never had Killer Crouchly teaching you !
izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:29 pm
@fresco,
No I had Plumbum, he was a Physics teacher who was also a Mormon who taught RE. He was worse than useless, if I'd not moved to another school I'd have failed my O level.
fresco

Reply Mon 9 Oct, 2017 12:35 pm
@izzythepush,
They don't make em like they used to. OFSTED has spoiled all the fun !
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » weighing machine calculates weight or mass
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 05:16:18