Should I start looking for another job?

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 07:37 am
Our restaurant is implementing a bunch of technology, and it's completely wireless-based---the problem? our wireless is the worst thing ever. Had my first experience last night, and noticed a steep decline in tips, honestly pen and paper seemed quicker for taking the order, as customers would jus spout out orders as fast as possible with 16 changes to an item, and now I have to do it from a machine, so I can't just switch back and forth that easily. Is this the kind of thing that should signal I look for employment elsewhere immediately, or do I give it a little while and see if it improves?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 417 • Replies: 6
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 08:31 am
Take the order like before and then go back to the waiter station and enter the info.

This is going to take time to get used to the new system.

Is the other staff having similar issues? Maybe more training is needed.
mlssufan01

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 08:55 am
@PUNKEY,
It is not optional...it is mandatory, I have no option. All the waiters were having issues.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:14 am
@mlssufan01,
I would give it a little while. Things could get better as people learn to use the technology, or management could figure out the problem and go back to the old way. Who knows... you might end up liking the new technology once you use it for a while.

But, it seems to me the issue isn't the technology... but the way that the management treats the staff. It makes sense for management to want to try new things, but if they are shoving it down your throats without listening to your concerns, that might make me want to leave.

centrox

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 11:48 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
It makes sense for management to want to try new things, but if they are shoving it down your throats without listening to your concerns, that might make me want to leave.

Could be a way for management to shake out the staff who can't or won't adapt. Or just to reduce numbers.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 01:13 pm
All the restaurants nowadays are using these handheld digital dining thingys.
It's a way of tracking orders better.

For the staff, it just takes practice. Management should have eased it in and had extensive practice training. Especially with huge menus.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 01:23 pm
Also, it helps reduce what we in England call "fiddles". I once knew an old guy who ran a restaurant in the 1950s. He told me his bladder was in terrible shape because every evening he stayed by the till and never took a pee because "it would cost me five pounds".
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Should I start looking for another job?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 12:01:07