flat EARTH exercise

kar1811

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 12:15 pm

American basketball player Kyrie Irving says the EARTH i s flat. Assuming that he is right and that at the same time Newton's theory of gravity is correct, determine the thickness of the Earth if it is a flat, very large pancake with a homogeneous density of 2.6 g / cm3 (approximately quartz density) The surface of this pancake in its center is g = 9.81 m / s2.
Please help me , Monika from Poland
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 434 • Replies: 10
No top replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2017 03:51 pm
@kar1811,
If I'm going to pretend that the Earth is flat, I'm sure not going to be bound by the laws of physics in my fantasy.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2017 05:57 am
@kar1811,
When your career is already flat, it never hurts to claim that the earth is flat, at least that gets your name into the Media.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 01:42 pm

https://i.imgur.com/bI6QjBV.jpg
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 08:23 pm
@kar1811,
That is actually an interesting question. The answer is that assuming Earth is a disk, the gravity would be stronger in the center than at the edges. This could be easily calculated using first year calculus.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 05:42 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

That is actually an interesting question. The answer is that assuming Earth is a disk, the gravity would be stronger in the center than at the edges. This could be easily calculated using first year calculus.

Something tells me that most flat earthers are not big into calculus.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 07:47 am
@rosborne979,
I was actually working on this a little. It would be an interesting setting for a science fiction story.

Obviously if you stood on the edge of the disk (i.e. the side of the disk), gravity would be pulling you toward the center. You would walk horizontally compared to someone at the center. Near the edges, you would feel that you were on the side of a very steep mountain since gravity would be pulling you, mostly horizontally, toward the center.

I might write this story.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 09:03 am
@maxdancona,
And if the disk were massive enough and the disk structurally weak enough it would collapse in on itself and form a... wait for it... wait... ... ... a Sphere! OMG.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 10:15 am
@rosborne979,
In science fiction.... I am allowed to break a few basic rules Wink. I am going to propose a material that has properties to allow it to maintain it's structure.

And the whole thing will be on the back of a turtle... just because that mythological construct has always amused me.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 12:04 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

In science fiction.... I am allowed to break a few basic rules Wink. I am going to propose a material that has properties to allow it to maintain it's structure.

And the whole thing will be on the back of a turtle... just because that mythological construct has always amused me.

Very rational of you Smile
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2018 03:44 pm

https://i.imgur.com/pBi4XRT.jpg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » flat EARTH exercise
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.67 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 09:32:11