WWJD?

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 11:46 am
Open letter to 'Engineers,' Editors, etc:

I've maintained for the longest time that the experts, the Engineers, the Editors, of the world should not only talk to one another more but they should consult with their audience, their customers, Your Average Clod [like me]. For instance when I read this headline somewhere, 'WWJD? Probably hang out at Mattress Mac's,' the first thing came to my ancient mind, "Ill bet they don't explain that abbr !!"

[Oh and Software Guys, 'gain,"abbr" 's an abbr for 'abbreviation,' as I explained in detail many times before. When are you ever goin' to change that requirement in your Hiring Guide from '...an IQ below 72, to even apply...' to '...above...' ?]

And of course I was right, as usual [not that I'm usually right, except sometimes when it comes to words and abbr's]. So I searched the article, about the effect of the Catholic Church on one furniture store's manager, I looked for those letters in cap.: As might be expected, the 'J' surely refers to Jesus; while the W could be in the last sentence, 'Wierd how that works, isn't it?' Sure is.

The 'D' must bring our attention to D-list televangelist Jim Bakker, claiming that Harvey [the hurricane] is God's punishment for the decline in Christianity, leaving me just a bit confused, except to guess [ http://www.dictionary.com/browse/d-list ] those people must be the very worst of us. So in conclusion, why don't the Big Newspaper and other Editors, before printin', submit each and every story to their typist or floor sweeper to look for obvious errors or omissions?

It's like that Orbit batt water timer I tolja about in an earlier Letters; where immediately after they got one going they sent it off to the Production crew, making 10 million of 'em before even giving couple 'Engineering' prototypes to a few gardeners for a week, to see how long they last before the sdolenoid valve breaks apart.

Anyhow, so 'WWDJ' must mean 'Wierd, Wierd Jim, the D-lister'

[Oh Mij Krob: my sincerest apolos, didn't mean that to happen !! It's Software Glitch # 672,407, 552 (a), (b), and (f) —or was that (k) that prevents me from deletin' anythin;' from my Email listin' Honest. I never kid. This'll be las' time, tho, 'cuz I think I've found a way 'round it !!!!!]

[And Doris, " 'abbr's' "an abbr for ''abbreviation's,' which in turn is an abbr for 'abbreviation is,' somethin' the software geniuses will never understnand

[...and oh a2k Mgrs, I hope I did right by spellin' out every abbr; while I assure you there's no way this msg (message] could possibly appear in any newspaper anywhere. Thus hope you won't delete it !!]

[Oh and my most sincere thanks to the Software Speller Comm.: I note you've finally realized that 'weas' is a misspi of 'was.' And it took you only 18 years !!! But now you must work on 'isd,.' the most common missp of 'is']
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 161 • Replies: 1
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 18 Sep, 2017 02:53 pm
@dalehileman,
[Edited to add: Hey, Software Spellers: I've got this great idea: I know it'll be tough 'cause it uses caps.'n'stuff, but you could devise a program for newspapers and the like that automatically looks up a abbr, and then displays it (that means to show it, on the screen, where the wrirter can see it…)

...I'm pretty sure you can, though, even at 86 with Alzie's I could almost do it myself, or if I couldn't I'vanhoe a couple of sons who coud help you.]

Oh, Google it, means 'We Want Jack Daniels.'
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » WWJD?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 08:25:30