Wiring a 0-10V DC dimmer to a 40W LED light from 110V

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2017 11:48 am
Dimmer has 5 terminals; (L in), (N), (L out) & then the two terminals for the purple & grey DC + - wires from the LED light.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 327 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Ponderer

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 04:21 am
@LowBall45,
I am no expert, but I wouldn't try it. To avoid a melt-down, I would get a 110V AC dimmer.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:02 am
@LowBall45,
Ball, my buddy Steve H, knowin' my interest in such matters, suggests I respond

But I can't. At 86 with Alzies, guess it's too much for me. Hope Pond has a better hold on it. Sorry Steve

Pond what I don't 'stand, mainly, is why you suppose the dimmer isn't one intended for 115 v [note, yes, we usta say '110 v']

Also whaddya think 45 means zac'ly by '(L in), (N), (L out)'
Ponderer

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 05:41 pm
@dalehileman,
I just always thought that alternating current and direct current don't mix. ( Like I can't wire my toaster to my car battery.
Ponderer

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 05:48 pm
@dalehileman,
No idea about "L,N,L". I had to Google a wiring diagram to wire a horn relay for a negative switch.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 07:11 pm
@Ponderer,
Quote:
thought that alternating current and direct current don't mix
Well Pond, they usu don't. I had supposed LNL to be the 115 v, then two terminals at the output, not described as to purpose or appearance, were dc, connecting to 'purple & grey DC + - wires from the LED light'; so still don't 'stand the prob
Ponderer

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 08:25 pm
@dalehileman,
My first words in my answer were "I am no expert.". But this is how I see it. The dimmer, which I'm guessing is basically a potentiometer, is rated for "0-10 volts" , the maximum is only one volt more than a 9-volt battery. The dimmer may not "care" if the input is AC or DC, but I think the critical number would be how much current ( in amps) the bulb would draw. Maybe the worst that could happen would be that it would throw a breaker before it burns out the dimmer.
( I repeat "Maybe")
dalehileman

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2017 11:00 pm
@Ponderer,

Quote:
I am no expert
Me nuther, but you seem to be doin' jus' fine

Quote:
dimmer, which I'm guessing is basically a potentiometer
That's the q b4 the house ain't it. I had assumed the dimmer was some sorta semicond device meant to change 115 ac to 0-10 v dc. But we dunno do we

We gotta get Ball to tell us more
Ponderer

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 01:14 am
@dalehileman,
I appreciate that, but I'm tellin' you all I know is that the red battery cable makes sparks and the black one doesn't. Usually.
0 Replies

Ponderer

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 01:19 am
@dalehileman,
q B4 ? What is that? A chess move ?
I hope he takes a video. Might be 'cit'n.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 10:25 am
@Ponderer,
Quote:
q B4 ? What...?
My apolos, Derer. I do it to make my fella a2k'er mad, hopin' he'll respond as you have, giving me the oppor to chat a bit more = '...question before...'

Quote:
and the black one doesn't. Usually.
Again thanks, Pond, you've once more made my entire day iuf not week

Quote:
I hope he takes a video.
You're to be 'gratulated for your offer to help Low in such a way

Quote:
Might be 'cit'n.
First reaction, 'citizen,' but then noted the init " ' ", suggesting, eg, 'inciting,' more appropriate by far

Oh hafta 'splain, Pond, how grateful I to my BH Enerval, who lets me do this all day Tue and Thu...w/ my 'polo's for 'Derer,' that sounds like " The Rear.' But then 'leman' reminds me of Ill Man.'

But more power to ya: Yet why don't we hear from our q'er LB45 with more clarifn' and expl'n ??? So...Ball, Ball, where ye

Oh and incidentally, a2k Mgmt, again, still, repeatedly, pse pse pse quit makin' the bot' jump up and down, up and down, up....
Ponderer

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:33 am
@dalehileman,
Please extend my mutual gratitude to your BH. You are an oasis.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 12 Sep, 2017 11:37 am
@Ponderer,
Pond, ur just too kind
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wiring a 0-10V DC dimmer to a 40W LED light from 110V
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 02:36:57