Is there anyone out there with advice, not critisism?

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 08:37 am
Im 18, I dont work and have £2500 in my bank account.
I want to live my life without working but instead putting the time i have into personal endeavors and interests, travelling and living sustainably without ever having to thank anyone for anything (except for maybe a round of drinks or a compliment).
What do i do? **** spending my life doing what everyone else does by not doing what they want, and instead waste more than half by "acting like an adult" just because "thats what you HAVE to do".
Am i making sense to anyone? Or am i really just a selfish, immature young man who has no idea what i really want and what it takes to get there?
Any ideas on how i could go about living this so called "fantasy" life as a reality?
Thanks, every single reply would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 647 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fresco

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 09:28 am
@Boopboopbeepbeep,
I am a lot older than you and would advise you that that in my experience 'self' tends to enjoy life only by virtue of the success of its caring relationships with others, and that is where 'real work' may be required.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 10:15 am
@Boopboopbeepbeep,
You could live the freegan livestyle - although this would limit your traveling -

https://freegan.info/
0 Replies

TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:24 am
@Boopboopbeepbeep,
Sadly, it takes money to live in our modern world. Find a way to make money that also makes you happy.
I know this is easier said than done, in fact if I knew how I would be doing it! Who knows, maybe you'll figure it out.
An alternative would be to move somewhere where your 2500 has much greater buying power than it does in the UK, and then live as simply as you can. Of course this isn't a guarantee of happiness..
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 11:48 am
Quote:
Im 18, I dont work and have £2500 in my bank account.

What do you want, a paper hat? 2.5 grand is nothing in the UK. I spend that in 3 months, and I am not especially well off. By the way, it's "criticism". I suppose you could use that sum to get started on an independent life, but it's going to need topping up pretty soon. And, Mister Independent, benefits don't count. I'm guessing that it's Mum and Dad that are coming up with the "be an adult" thing?

Quote:
Any ideas on how i could go about living this so called "fantasy" life as a reality?

I know! Ask on a load of web forums for ideas!

0 Replies

bjacky

Reply Tue 29 Aug, 2017 12:18 pm
@Boopboopbeepbeep,
The most important advise I was ever given as far as a career and future was to "get an education and get the best that you can."

I wasn't top kid in high school and wasn't a big fan of it when I was younger and thought I would just have an average life with an average job. When I turned 19, however, I served a two-year mission for the LDS church. I did it because I had a strong desire to teach what I had learned through my study of the gospel. Going into the mission, I had no idea what I was going to do for a career.

While there, I saw the need for strong moral leadership within the communities. That coupled with the advice to get the best education that I could ultimately led me to zero-in on law school. After that point, I grabbed on to that idea and never looked back.

I knew I had to get good grades in college to get into law school so that gave me a good reason to do good in undergrad. Law School was the hardest thing I ever did but I never regret it. With higher education your ability to do what you want to do increases.

It's much easier and cheaper to get an education today too than it was in the past. I am not a fan of the student loans that I have now. Probably the most coveted job that does not require a degree is computer programming, if you know how to program people will pay you top dollar for your work.

You can learn how to code for free online through code academy. If you figure that out, you can work anywhere you want that has an internet connection. You can also do schooling now with online schools which is much cheaper which I would recommend, so you can also do schooling anywhere you want with an internet connection.

I would say that what helped me on my career and future path was the mission I served. I served in Chile and was able to learn Spanish and was focused on other people all day with the intent to teach them something about God. I was also taught structure with a daily schedule, how to set goals, how to interact and communicate with vasts amount of people ect.

As a result, that helped me keep my mind clear at that point in my life to help guide me onto the future, I wasn't as selfish and focused on myself so it helped me better see the big picture.

So I would also recommend getting close to God, studying His word and communicate with Him. He will help you know what you need to do moving forward. I would also recommend working toward getting an education and always have the desire and curiosity to learn new things even when you are out of school.

As you learn, you will know more and you will start to find an interest in what you know. The world is changing everyday and what was today's new toy is yesterday's historical artifact so it is important to stay up to speed with the world's learning curve or you'll get sucked under and trampled and end up doing something you don't want to do.

With your education and knowledge, you will have a greater influence and ability to know what you need to do and the work that you do will become your personal endeavors. You don't have to do something you don't want to do. You can do what you love and you can get paid for it but you do have to make the effort and work toward it to achieve it.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Wed 30 Aug, 2017 09:30 pm
See if you can make it by taking off and working your way around the world. Try not to spend your 'egg nest'.
0 Replies

MethSaferThanTHC

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2017 11:23 pm
@Boopboopbeepbeep,
I'm a fan of 'I'm rich and I'll show you how to be as rich as me' books, but no real advice can be taken from those books.
0 Replies

WoolfLynn

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2017 12:22 pm
@Boopboopbeepbeep,
You are a thinker, you are questioning the entire way societies are set up. Your
questions are valid and I respect that in you. You are an adult, a kid would not be seeking answers.
Socialized vs. non-socialized countries
Here in the US (I am first-generation American, parents born in other countries)there are no free rides, no free medical or medicine, no free housing, no free higher education and no free food except in the long lines at church soup kitchens or diving into trash containers. Social Security is not automatic but requires a minimum of ten years of working and paying into the system to get even a very small amount at age 62 and that system is going broke. Even old people homes cost about five to six thousands dollars per month, yes, per Month. On your banked money you could survive a couple of months by living under a bridge if you already had a tent, warm clothing, blankets, a flashlight and such. If you could get a few days work you would have to trust some people under the bridge to watch your stuff. People who live in these "cities" sometimes choose this life. There is always one or two people in charge. And don't get sick, especially a toothache because you will just have to stand the pain. Ive seen people sell their blood at a blood bank then drop their bandage onto the sidewalk as they walked to a store to buy cheap beer. There are church shelters but not for drunks, drunks sleep on the street. So don't come here unless you want to work.
I have lived in The Netherlands and could hardly believe how much the
government provided for their citizens. But people were so protected by the government for so many generations they felt entitled to free. However, in The Netherlands manufacturing plants were being closed for no longer being
productive and reopened in Slovakia where people would work for one Euro per
hour. Those folks were hungry.
Have you ever been hungry, truly weak with hunger, sick with hunger?
I have also lived in Canada and like The Netherlands I did not see homeless but taxes took about half of one's wages.
You get to choose the type of society in which you choose to live. In my experience I would choose a country which is not socialized, at least I got to keep and invest more of my earnings. But I have worked for wages part of the
time since age eleven, by age seventeen I was self-supporting. I had no long-term goals so I worked for housing, food, medical coverage by the employer and education which I did at night and on weekends. It was challenging, exciting and enjoyable. A degree provided me with interesting even fascinating careers. I did not have to say thank you to anyone but myself.
How do you want to live?
If a free round of drinks is all you want then you are setting the bar of self-expectation just above the ground and that's okay because you choose to do so. Living under a bridge is an option or selling blood for beer. Sorry, but working yourself around the world is not as far as I know. Just getting in and out of Mexico or Canada from the US is hard. Security treats all like criminals going through luggage and checking passports, visas, etc. However, there is employment which will send you to other countries.
You are a thinker, a seeker of knowledge or you would not have posted the questions. Both of us are in countries where we at least we have a choice. You are many generations younger than I and it will certainly be much more difficult
for you in this awful over-populated world. But still you can be in a position to
say "Thank You" to yourself only. That Is the fantasy life.

0 Replies

nina1234

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2017 09:28 am
@Boopboopbeepbeep,
So what are you doing at the moment? Are you going to school? Are you working? How did you get the money you have in your account? What are the personal endeavors and interests you are talking about exactly?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is there anyone out there with advice, not critisism?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 11:40:22