Relativistic contortions revisited

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 11:00 am
Cam asks in another OP, 'For example, what is the mechanism acting to dilate time? How it works?'

https://able2know.org/topic/110967-14#post-6491841

I do have an idea, I call Relative Relativity. It's difficult to explain the apparent changes in a moving object, such as its evident change in mass or length, slowing of its clock, etc; explained by complex math but very unsatisfying to the intuition

Now, what follows is a gross oversimplification of my proposal, but suppose we're underestimating its velocity. For instance when it's appears to have neared c, its mass seems to have become enormous, its length looks as if shrunk to near zero, and its clock appears to have stopped. So suppose its velocity [and that of light] is actually much greater but, owing to our present inability to resolve certain paradoxes and contradictions involving time-at-a-distance we underestimate; actually the object is goin' many, many times v

Thus the observation, when we place a bigger object in its path, that it has 'way more destructive power than we'd otherwise expect. The reason it seems shorter, is that the light from the front and back of the speeding chunk is reaching us at the same instant; and we see its clock as stopped 'cause it's reaching its destination much quicker than we realize

I've proposed this at web sites more in the scientific realm, and though disagreeing, they understand what I'm sayin'. Still, I haven't been controverted. I think the main reason my theory seems overly convoluted and unlikely, is that it's rejected by 'common sense,' but then so is Al's

Actually when you consider it carefully you might find it very simple, in agreement with intuition, and neatly resolving, eg, the Twin Paradox as well as other still controversial aspects of present theory
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 442 • Replies: 2
No top replies

seac

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 11:11 am
@dalehileman,
It has been many years since I studied relativity in physics class. Now I am sort of ignorant about it. Objects are supposed to look different when you are traveling near light speed. I have read about galaxies moving away at light speed or maybe even greater? And our galaxy is also moving at a considerable speed. Why isn't the far moving galaxy not distorted when viewed through a telescope?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 26 Aug, 2017 11:15 am
@seac,
Quote:
many years since I studied
Yea, me too Seac

Quote:
look different ... near light speed
Yes. In my instance wer're 'stationary,' and observing a 'moving' opbject

Quote:
galaxies moving away at light speed
Well yes, almost. I guess the further off, the faster