Picking Up Miles High Garbage from Affluent Tourists

Noddy24

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 11:44 am
http://www.planetark.com/avantgo/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=28565

BEIJING - Tibetan volunteers are planning a trip to the top of the world's tallest mountain to pick up garbage.
The Tibetans will work with environmental protection experts over the next three years to clear up the rubbish on Mount Everest at an altitude of between 6,500 metres (21,300 ft) and 8,000 metres, China's Xinhua news agency said on Monday.

Everest has been strewn with garbage ever since the pioneering attempts at its peak in the 1920s. Since then, the climbing traffic has multiplied.

"The local government has organised volunteers many times to clear away the rubbish, yet all of them failed because no volunteers can reach that high," Xinhua said.

"The Tibetan expedition has set a target of scaling all 14 peaks in the world higher than 8,000 metres. It has made it to 13 of them so far."

More than 1,500 climbers have reached the summit of the 8,850-metre (29,035-foot) Everest, which straddles the border between Nepal and China, since 1953.

At least 185 people have died on its slopes.

Story Date: 14/12/2004
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 5
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:12 pm
The rule of the trail is if you can't pack it out you shouldn't pack it in.

I've read that there is a horrid trash problem on Everest. Rich adventurers who feel compelled to climb mountains should be required to either pack their own trash off or pay a substantial fee to have someone do it for them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 12:15 pm
Leave only footprints.

Stupid people... <mumble grumble>
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:04 am
I have lived all over Asia for 30 years. By far the filthiest place I have lived is Nepal. The country is an open toilet and dump. It is very ironic that anyone complains about trash on Mt. Everest and I do not hear anyone complain about the unhealthy environment that is found in Nepal. By the way, the bulk of the trash comes from locals, not rich tourists.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 02:46 pm
Thanks for your post, Pepit, and welcome to A2K.

Nepal may well have a problem with sordid litter, but I doubt that the locals threw out their used oxygen bottles on the upper slopes of Mt. Everest.
0 Replies

Pepito

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 07:09 am
Noddy 24.

The first time I read your reply I got the impression that the trouble with Nepalis was lack of oxygen. After reading it again, I don't think you meant that.

Though Nepal is filthy, I do have fond memories of my sick days days hiking in the Himalayas. I saw many great views. But don't think for a minute that the place is pristine, despite the appearances of cool raging waters. If you make it to any place in the Nepal, you can bet that Nepalis have gotten there ahead of you and polluted the place. One of my most memorable moments, by the way, was squatting on a hillside with some kind of weird gastro-intestinal disorder and gazing at beautiful mountains. No matter what precautions you take, a bug will get to you eventually.
0 Replies