Barcelona: Van rams crowds in Ramblas tourist area

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 11:37 am
From the BBC.
Quote:

At least one person died and 32 were injured after a van ploughed into crowds in Barcelona's famous Las Ramblas tourist area, police say.
The vehicle sped along the pedestrianised area, mowing down people and sending others fleeing for cover in shops and cafes.
Witnesses said the van had deliberately targeted people before coming to a stop.
Police are treating the incident as a terrorist attack.
Media reports said the driver of the vehicle had fled on foot.
Tom Markwell from New Orleans, who was just arriving in a taxi in Las Ramblas, said: "I heard a crowd screaming. It sounded like they were screaming for a movie star.
"I saw the van. It had already been busted on the front. It was weaving left and right, trying to hit people as fast as possible. There were people lying on the ground."
Aamer Anwar said he was walking down Las Ramblas, which was "jam-packed" with tourists.
"All of a sudden, I just sort of heard a crashing noise and the whole street just started to run, screaming. I saw a woman right next to me screaming for her kids," he told Sky News.
"Police were very, very quickly there, police officers with guns, batons, everywhere. Then the whole street started getting pushed back.
"Police officers who got there just started screaming at people to move back, move back."
Vehicles have been used to ram into crowds in a series of attacks across Europe since July last year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40965581

I'm a bit concerned because I think our very own Ragman is in Barcelona right now. I saw him in London on Saturday and he told me he was flying out to Barcelona on Monday. I've pmd him, and will let you know if I hear any more.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,774 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 11:48 am
@izzythepush,
Thanks, izzy.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 01:21 pm
13 dead now. One man arrested in Vic, where I have been lots of times.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 01:29 pm
Some of the early reports suggested Catalonian nationalists what with some of them being averse to tourism and their anti-tourist activities, but then a suspect with an Arabic name was apprehended who allegedly rented the van that was used in the attack.
centrox

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 01:41 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Some of the early reports suggested Catalonian nationalists what with some of them being averse to tourism

That is a crazy idea.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 02:36 pm
Just got a pm from Ragman, he's still in the south of France, he'll be going to Barcelona in the next few days. He's not been put off.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 02:44 pm
@izzythepush,
I almost typed that they might still be there.

Rags and Maxine are nice and sane. Anyway, glad to hear they are fine..
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 02:48 pm
@ossobucotemp,
It's my fault, I thought he was going to Barcelona first.
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 03:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Ah, at last a flaw! (teasing).
I can barely wait until they will post about Carcasonne, and, besides that, what they ate along the way.

Plus Russ is a sharp photographer, she may be as well.

Oops, I didn't mean to skip speaking of the mess in Barcelona. What to say, the world is riding a handbasket to hell. Chip, chip, chip, dive... chip, chip, chip, dive.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 18 Aug, 2017 01:36 am
Quote:
Spanish police say they have killed five suspected terrorists in the town of Cambrils in a second vehicle attack, after an earlier one in Barcelona.
The men, wearing explosive belts, were linked to the first attack, police say.
Thirteen people died and dozens were hurt when a van hit crowds on Las Ramblas, Barcelona on Thursday. The driver fled and is still at large.
Spain's PM Mariano Rajoy described it as a "jihadist attack", which so-called Islamic State said it had carried out.
Seven people, including a police officer, were wounded when a car was driven into them early on Friday, Catalan emergency services said. One person is in a critical condition.
The attackers' vehicle overturned and when the men got out they were quickly fired upon by police, media say. One was reportedly brandishing a knife.
A series of controlled explosions was then carried out.
Police say the situation in Cambrils - a popular seaside resort 110km (68 miles) south-west of Barcelona - is now under control.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40971004
0 Replies