What Kind of a Society Do You Want to Live In? - Iceland Eliminates People with Down Syndrome

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 08:53 pm
The following are links to CBS story on Down Syndrome in Iceland, a National Review story focused on the CBS piece, the National Downes Syndrome Society, and a Wikipedia article on the condition.

What kind of a society do you want to live in? Your thoughts and observations are welcome

CBS

National Review

National Down Syndrome Society

Wikipedia

The following are excerpts from the CBS and National Review pieces

Quote:
CBS News’s tweet promoting the story read simply: “Iceland is on pace to virtually eliminate Down syndrome through abortion.”

But Iceland isn’t “eliminating Down syndrome” at all. It’s eliminating people. The callous tone of the piece makes selective abortion sound like a technological innovation rather than what it really is: the intentional targeting of “unfit” persons for total elimination.

The following is a sign of a world gone mad. A PSA intended to help mothers who decided to give birth to their Down syndrome children be confident that they had done the right thing is banned by the government because the smiles on the childrens' faces might make women who decided to abort their DS children sad. Take a moment to think about that.

Quote:
In France, for example, the State Council banned from the airwaves a video featuring children with Down syndrome talking about their happy lives. The advertisement was meant to comfort mothers who received a prenatal diagnosis and assure them that their children would have beautiful, largely normal lives. The ad was forbidden by the French government because the smiles of the children would “disturb the conscience of women who had lawfully made different personal life choices” — in other words, because seeing them happy would upset women who had aborted their Down syndrome children.

Quote:
“We don’t look at abortion as a murder,” she said. “We look at it as a thing that we ended. We ended a possible life that may have had a huge complication . . . preventing suffering for the child and for the family. And I think that is more right than seeing it as a murder — that’s so black and white. Life isn’t black and white. Life is grey.”

Life vs death is pretty much a black & white thing. Where's the grey?

Quote:
Jerome Lejeune, the French geneticist who discovered the chromosomal basis for Down syndrome, once offered this perspective: “It cannot be denied that the price of these diseases is high — in suffering for the individual and in burdens for society. Not to mention what parents suffer! But we can assign a value to that price: It is precisely what a society must pay to remain fully human.

Quote:

As Agusta grows up, "I will hope that she will be fully integrated on her own terms in this society. That's my dream," Ingadottir (mother of a child with Downes syndrome) said. "Isn't that the basic needs of life? What kind of society do you want to live in?"

Indeed.

Do these kids look they would have better off dead?

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/down-syndrome-violinist-554x414.jpg

http://media.oncologynurseadvisor.com/images/2014/02/10/ona_forum_downs_0214app_548881.jpg?format=jpg&zoom=1&quality=70&anchor=middlecenter&width=320&mode=pad

http://i2.cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/161025145233-12-asher-child-with-down-syndrome-large-169.jpeg

http://www.theglobaldispatch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Noah-Van-Vooren-waterboy-down-syndrome-touchdown-300x252.png
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 722 • Replies: 5
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2017 09:44 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Iceland Eliminates People with Down Syndrome

How are they doing this, putting these people in Ziklon B gas chambers? Jeez, I thought all of this ended with the Nazis.

Oh, wait a minute. This is about abortions performed, for the most part, during late first trimester to early second trimester pregnancy. It's disingenuous to describe this as "eliminating people." The US rate of down syndrome abortions is between 67 to 90 percent according to your sources.

So you're against abortion and you consider fetuses to be people. Understood.

Where the hell do the Brits get the spelling, "foetus?"
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 01:31 am
So much more civilised in America, force the mother to go full term and if the baby is ill and can't afford medicine then it can have a slow lingering death.

What kind of society do I want to live in? Not one where privatised medicine is used for social 'cleansing.' Now that really is straight out of the 3rd Reich.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 02:12 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
At first I really wondered why there hadn't been an outcry about these murders.

But hen I noticed: it's only a tabloid-style headline and about legal abortions in Iceland.

Library of Congress: Abortion Legislation in Europe
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 02:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Iceland close to becoming the first country where no Down's Syndrome children are born
Quote:
Pre-natal tests were introduced in the early 2000s, and the vast majority who receive a positive test have terminated their pregnancy.

While the tests are optional, all expectant mothers are informed about their availability, and up to 85 per cent choose to take it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2017 03:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Just adding: the French "State Conseil" didn't ban the advert but repected an appeal: Diffusion du film de sensibilisation à la trisomie 21
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What Kind of a Society Do You Want to Live In? - Iceland Eliminates People with Down Syndrome
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:53:29