are some people destined to be alone?

Tue 15 Aug, 2017 10:28 pm

I guess it's not a question single people want to ask ourselves too often but I can't help but feel this sense of fear and anxiety over the future. Some say "those who obsess over something, never find it" "it happens when you're not expecting it etc" Sure I wish I could be like one of those people and live life like it doesn't bother me but it's almost impossible. We are designed to be in relationship and not to be alone. Yet that is the reality for me or has been for so long now and I just wish I could settle down and finally share my life with someone.

As I approach my mid 30s now I have had relationships but never a true long term relationship (like over a year), never been engaged and never been in love. I believe that luck plays a part. Some people are fortunate and others simply aren't.

I do what I can; dating sites and apps, church, ask friends for introductions but just hasn't worked out. I'm not exactly old, I know, but by this stage I didn't think I'd still be waiting to meet the right person.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 352 • Replies: 5
Topic Closed
No top replies

blisswebsolution

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 03:35 am
@despairing,
I can give some numbers, since FA runs in my family. Of course this does not apply to everyone who comes from a family who has this problem, since my numbers are for my family only. I was drafted into doing the genealogy of my family. I went back 7 generations before I could not go back any further. Around 1700 people total. In the end every single generation had at least one person who never found anyone and died alone. About 170 people, so 10% of my family in the last 7 generations. But the one person died alone per generation applied regardless of how many children the parent had. Some ancestors of my family had 13 or more kids, and only one died alone. But others like my parents had two children, and one died alone. Some parents had several children, and all of them died alone. The only one constant was every generation in my family had at least one child who ended up FA. The ones I knew personally in my family, who have already died FA, or are on their way, all had one thing in common. Probable Avoidant Personality Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, or both. This might be the determining factor if someone ends up FA, but unfortunately I can only say it applies to my family only. I wish I could find better numbers than this, since their is a major sampling bias, being my family only, but as far as I know, no one has ever studied this problem.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 04:10 am
@despairing,
I understand being alone if one wants is prone to solitude. I dont understand being alone when you want the oppositte. I also have a hard time getting why ppl despair about it. Life alone is different not necessarilly bad.
My advise goes, if you want company look in the right place after knowing who you are not who you imagine/wanted yourself to be. Also know your "market"...
(Not having had a relation lasting over 1 year might be indicative of an uncompromising personalitty....or just really bad luck)
0 Replies

despairing

Wed 16 Aug, 2017 08:43 am
I guess it's difficult to see how things will change when you keep trying your best to change but your effort and perseverance is never rewarded.
I think luck is involved, e.g. being at the right place at the right time. I think I do just need to keep meeting more women and keep putting myself out there but whilst still being casual and cool (not coming off as being desperate of course).

Certainly being alone can be great but I have spent the majority of my life on my own. I live alone, eat alone, have travelled the world alone. Sometimes I would spend days without having a conversation.
As much as I enjoy my own time, freedom and space, I want to share my life with someone now. Sadly, it's not something you can click into existence. If only it were that easy.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Thu 17 Aug, 2017 02:09 pm
How old are you?

There is a difference in anti-social personality and preferring to be solo.

Surely the web can help you find someone who also likes to be alone (which now I consider as a definition "prefers quiet and frequent solitude") but would like to hook up once in a while.

0 Replies

Jon69

Tue 22 Aug, 2017 04:59 am
@despairing,
Well,as you have said,some people are fortunate and other aren t. That s life,you can change that,all you can do is to take things as they are. Try to see the good part of that...the more time you have for your person,the bigger the chances are to become the best version of yourself.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » are some people destined to be alone?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 06:26:45