You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:29 pm
I read something recently about barter networks. Barter networks are made when a group of people with various skills and talents exchange goods or services in lieu of payment.

As a photographer I've bartered my services for all kinds of things: hair cuts and salon services, baby sitting, dental care, landscaping materials, etc.

I have a neighbor who is an exceptional handyman. His wife doesn't eat sweets. I'm a very good baker and like to bake for relaxation. A tray of tasty cookies buys me all kinds of fix-its.

Just for fun, I thought it would be interesting to see what skills and talents A2K members have, that other A2K members would be willing to barter for. How many steps might it take to find the right exchanges to complete what each person needs.

For example, right now I would really like to find someone who needs regular photographs in exchange for providing me with Spanish lessons.

If you don't speak Spanish but need regular photography work done maybe you have something to exchange with someone who might teach me Spanish.

Get the idea?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,759 • Replies: 32
No top replies

George

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:30 pm
I have no barterable skills. My function is purely decorative.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:31 pm
I'll keep that in mind the next time I need a model for advertising!
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:32 pm
...since the accident, I don't do undies...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:33 pm
HAHAHAHAHA!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:34 pm
I think we should just do away with money all together. It causes so much trouble anyway. Just barter and trade stuff to get stuff.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:36 pm
Let's see - hamburger could teach Spanish, and he really likes my veggie casserole, and I could use some glamour shots - I'm in!

oh, regular shots.

<sigh>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:39 pm
Bring on the glamour eBeth! I can do that!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:41 pm
Very Happy

<checking plane schedules>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:41 pm
I'm with you Kristie. Bartering is a great way to get the things you need.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:43 pm
I can teach you about my Cherokee family. Alot of history has been passed down. Some interesting some .. ok.. I can even give small lessons on the language. But no spanish here. I used to speak spanish when i was a teenager ( that is a long sordid story though) I am not fluent in it anymore
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:45 pm
Hmmm...

Maybe when Mo gets to the Five Civilized Tribes in American History. Having someone pass down family knowledge of the Trail of Tears would be truly wonderful.

We could have a barter homeschool!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:47 pm
Well, boomer. I can write a script to go with your photography, then perhaps you can take a picture of Letty before and after.

One word, however. In the actual world, The IRS taxes barter just the same as though it were income. I can't support this, but if one is in business, it needs to be checked out. During the depression, The Barter theater was established in Wytheville Virginia. They put on plays, and were paid with butter, eggs, milk, whatever a person had to offer.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:53 pm
boomerang wrote:
Hmmm...

Maybe when Mo gets to the Five Civilized Tribes in American History. Having someone pass down family knowledge of the Trail of Tears would be truly wonderful.

We could have a barter homeschool!

Actually you are on to something there.
My little pup is just in the background of your 2year old. We COULD bounce knowledge off of each other and teach both our kids. I would be willing to do that. You can help me tach my child the beginings of reading/writting etc.. I can help you give little Mo some facts about america before / during/ and after the settlers.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
....You can help me tach ...

Can I bater with someone to teach me how to spell first????????

Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:10 pm
That sounds great, Letty!

But before and after what? Working with me might age you a bit but I'm really not that bad!

My sister is actually involved in a homeschool network, shewolf. I think they are becoming pretty common. But to get a variety of people all over the country to participate would be pretty cool.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:32 pm
boomer... I am a graphic designer who often needs photos for my freelance work... I have a friend, who is trying to start his own business teaching languages, who needs design work done... he is fluent in English, Spanish, and French. You want to learn Spanish... sounds like a match made in heaven to me.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 04:34 pm
Wow! That would work perfectly. Very symbiotic.
0 Replies

Muhammed abdelfatah

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:14 pm
hi
hi
that's terrific idea
any way my basic ability is planning and logical thinking
if some body that can teach you spanish would be interested about that then i may do this and you in return teach me some basics of photo taking.
by the way: i'm not specialize at planning to steal banks but i'm working on it
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 06:40 pm
I read about those barter networks .. some of them set up purely as practical matters, many more as a practical way to give shape to one's non/anti-capitalist ideals ...

I've always been interested, but am kind of intimidated. Because every time I start thinking about what I would have to barter, I can't think of anything ... and thats kind of depressing ;-)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/24/2024 at 03:40:07