Pedestrian button - do you press?

Roberta

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 09:51 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, bethie. I guess they've been hiding them from me. Or I just haven't noticed them.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 10:53 am
@Roberta,
Linkat answered correctly, sorry I've been away for the day visiting my dad in Somerset.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 11:07 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

the intersections of Summer + Dorchester and Congress + Dorchester have buttons that still work...

That's old school.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:27 pm
@Linkat,

even when you get "walk" there, you have to look both ways -- i've seen more than one car go flying through a red light at full speed...
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 02:12 pm
@Region Philbis,
Cars turning the corner can be dangerous, too.
roger

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:13 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, lookee! It looks like a storm drain grating with the openings perfectly aligned to capture the front wheel of a bicycle. It appears to be in the middle of a bike lane.

ehBeth wrote:

https://untappedcities-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2-crosswalk-buttons-cities-101-nyc-untapped-cities-wesley-yiin.jpg

this is one of the NYC variants

they're around. We used them when we stayed near Lexington and 81st.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Cars turning the corner can be dangerous, too.

Most definitely - there have been numerous occasions where I had a walk signal was crossing and some car is zooming turning the corner and nearly takes you out - and you know what? They blare their horn - I usually scream at them while I point to the sign that says "yield to pedestrians on turns" - even police cars ignore this rule.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:46 pm
@Linkat,
Sorry about that, Linkat. I was late for an interview.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 06:31 pm
I always wait until I reach the intersection.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 07:09 pm

looks like somebody downtown wasn't too thrilled after reading the article...

http://i.imgur.com/8U7sBxC.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 04:35 pm
I saved someone's life today - or at least prevented much potential injury -- he did press the button - but he didn't look to make sure no one ran the red light. It was seconds.

We were waiting for the light to change, me and this young man. The light changed and the little pedestrian guy lit up letting us know that we could walk; this young man started to walk out - the light for cars was clearly red at that point - and zoom the car just went through the red light - I softly reached out and said quietly but firmly watch out - weird I didn't think just reacted and I reacted so calmly rather than with a panic - the man immediately pulled back on the sidewalk.

A little nervous laughter and we went on our way.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 06:09 pm
@Linkat,

i did that once also -- grabbed a woman by the arm to stop her from possibly getting hit by an aggressive NYC cab ...

Linkat

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 12:44 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i did that once also -- grabbed a woman by the arm to stop her from possibly getting hit by an aggressive NYC cab ...

For a minute I was going to thank you --- someone did that to me many many years ago - but it was a Boston cab --
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 12:55 pm
@Region Philbis,
How many strange women have you been grabbing? Wink

PS The pedestrian button near my doctor's office works. I field tested it this morning.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 02:30 pm
@Region Philbis,
I think I owe you a thanks. If it wasn't you, it was somebody. Thanks, whoever!
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 03:03 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
Just saw this article that says that the buttons are not activated in Boston - then why the heck do you have buttons!

Psychology.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 08:29:55