How have you chronicled your life?

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:36 am
It seems that I spent my first 40 years madly acquiring things.

Judging by my recent activities, I think I'll be spending the next 40 years slowly getting rid of things.

Deciding what to keep is a thoughtful process.

I find myself wondering what some future archeologist might make of my life.

I imagine they would think I was some kind of curator of paper because most books, all photographs and anything handwritten is kept. There are only a few little non-paper treasures that I keep, things that would surely leave our researcher scratching his head.

What assumptions might this future archeologist make about your life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 545 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:39 am
what a freak :wink:

Ok, not really. I don't know...I have things but not a lot of sentimental things...like letters or anything. I always said that I was going to start writing my life down so that my great-great grandkids could read about me and know their history. But like so many other things, I never get around to it.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:51 am
I've made a few stabs at keeping a journal too, kristie, but I never can keep it up or it just ends up seeming too queer.

I guess my journal is my photo archives.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:52 am
see i don't even really have photos. my intentions are always so good to take pics but I never do. I asked for a digital camera for christmas so maybe i will get it and it will be easier to take pics.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:05 pm
Photos make an interesting chronicle because they tell about you by what you've seen. People have to interpret what you've seen to get to an understanding of who you are. It requires a bit more detective work than other chronicles.

Beware the digital camera curse whereby no real prints ever get made!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:06 pm
I never take my film in now! I have 3 disposable cameras and 2 rolls from...ah...I'd say the last 3 or 4 years.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:24 pm
<Archeologists scratches head>

Now why would so many tools be collected in the house of a man who
obviously did not know how to use any of them.

He must have been a hardware thief!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:28 pm
It worries me a bit, because I have lots of documentation lying around and no heirs. I'm talking about boxes of letters (and a steamer trunk of 'em, too), photos and several volumes of journals.

The journals, which I kept during my 20s, are hard for me to read. Let's just say they were written a while ago, and they bring me back so vividly that it takes me about 24 hours to get back to the here and now.

So, I imagine some relative finding all this, muttering under his/her breath, and doggedly recycling it...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:45 pm
Ha! George, too funny. That sounds like a few men that I have known and loved. Tools are a sexy accessory for any man.

I really think the same thing about my stuff, D'artagnan. I'm sure it will be quite meaningless and cumbersome for someone to deal with in the future. That doen't make it any easier to part with though.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:54 pm
Agreed, boomerang. I really do have to do some weeding, though, at least of all those letters. And winter is the time to do it!
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:57 pm
...a steamer trunk? Wow. Have you ever thrown any letters away?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:59 pm
Yeah, most of the ones my mother wrote. Too guilt-inducing...
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:05 pm
Ha!

You know, I can't recall the last time I got (or sent) a snail-mail personal letter.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 02:10 pm
Believe it or not, I still do it (and receive some). This probably accounts for the overflow...
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:00 am
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How have you chronicled your life?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 10:19:13