Different Sex Drives

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2017 12:38 am
So my girlfriend and I have been together for nearly 7 years now. I love her and I plan to marry her. However sex life has slowly become an issue for us over time. We just have different libidos. I am want more than she does. She really could do without sex and I am someone who would prefer to have that emotional intimacy with my significant other every so often. The only time it is really going to happen is when we are on vacations and such.

Unfortunately the difference in our sex drives is becoming a strain, I think particularly on my end since I am the one that has the greater desire. It got to a point where it caused us to fight resulting in an important conversation between us. We had some communication issues about what sex represents for each of us. I was under the impression that maybe something was wrong with our relationship (even though every other aspect was fine) and she thought nothing was wrong at all. I think maybe she thought something was wrong with her, when really nothing is wrong with either of us, we just have different libidos. She still loves me and I love her. We now have a better understanding of what sex means to the both of us. I take it more emotionally and she doesn't require it to feel loved by me. We're trying to work it out and find a mutual solution.

Now that we both understand where each other is coming from, the next step is how do we both satisfy each other. On my part I have to not take it personally when she doesn't feel like it and understand that nothing is wrong with our love when she rejects me. I need to make sure i'm not pressuring her either which I've probably been guilty of in the past. I also have to understand that she has a significantly lower libido than I and should not expect the amount of sex that I thought was the "norm" in relationships. I am okay with that. I don't require a lot of sex, just sometimes.

On her end she needs to I guess have sex more but obviously I don't want her to do it and not really be present or enjoy it. So I am trying to understand under what circumstances would make her more inclined to have sex and how to make it more enjoyable for her on the times we do. I'm asking her what she likes, what turns her on, and what she would like me to do that maybe I haven't been doing. However she is very uncomfortable talking about this sort of thing. When I ask her about her sexual preferences it's like she knows nothing about herself sexually. Her common answer is "i don't know" and at first I thought she just wasn't telling me but I think she honestly doesn't. She's giving me nothing to work with. We can't come up with any solution because it seems she doesn't know anything that she prefers sexually. The only thing I really got out of her was that sometimes she likes something and sometimes she doesn't. So I don't really know what to do with that.

Our sex life wasn't always this way and there was a time I felt pretty confident about how to turn her on and such but now I guess things have changed. I can do my part but I feel like we haven't come up with any thing on her part. Its very frustrating for me because at this point I'm very sexually charged since it has been awhile and I have these feelings for her that remain bottled up. I know she is frustrated as well though. I think she felt inadequate at one point before our fight and that she was going to lose me because she couldn't satisfy me, which I cleared up for her. I love her and I want to do anything I can to make things work between us.

Of course I thought about maybe ending this and maybe I can find someone else with a similar libido. I thought long and hard about this and came to the conclusion that I can't see my life without her. She means the world to me. We've been together for a long time and I guess this kind of problem comes with the territory. I guess I'm asking for any advice to help this situation.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 152 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Jul, 2017 08:29 am
Try working together with a sex therapist. Suggestions might be taken better (and more willingly) if they come from a professional, third party.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Different Sex Drives
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 03:37:33