Guilt, guilt, guilt

Reply Tue 30 Nov, 2004 09:33 pm
Generaly I feel that humans are basically an evil lot, and I am no exception.
Though most of the time my intentions are good, they are what the road to Hell is supposed to be paved with, are they not?

So I ask, are you feeling guilty about anything? Confess here.

~~~
I'll offer my own, for starters, something I've been wanting to get off my chest for a while.

Way back when I was in college (I was about 20) I was in an on-again off-again relationship with a fellow student. He was attractive and witty, and I loved him very much; I still miss him, sometimes. But the relationship was rocky. He would dump me periodically, but I was ever faithful, though I would flirt a lot to feed my ego. And so it was that I went on a field course and met Prof. R. I don't think I ever consciously flirted with him, but I did talk to him quite a bit and managed to pour out all the icky details of my relationship problems in a gratuitous, self-absorbed manner. I was a pretty girl, not a great beauty, but that seemed to be enough, Prof. R. became hopelessly infatuated. I just laughed off his advances, I really did think he was just joking. After all, what real interest would he have in me? He was brilliant, I'm not kidding. He had a stunning list of publications. He was both a scientist and a philosopher. I would often go to talk to him about his views on the philosophy of science, which ran contrary to the mainstream but were nonetheless respected. He was respected, but not loved by his peers. His students and technicians were another matter; they were all quite fond of him. One even stopped me in the hall one evening to say 'Yo'u're not going to hurt him, I hope'. I really had no intention of doing so. Once he asked me if I would sleep with him if he were dying, my answer was 'uhh, maybe, I don't know' I still wasn't taking him seriously, and did not even when he told me about swallowing some ethidium bromide. Not having much bench experience at the time, I had to ask him what it was... I didn't really believe he'd do such a thing. I stopped seeing him because he asked me to.

Several years later I was working on a masters in completely unrelated subject and ran across a professor I had for sociology of science. He had been good friends with Prof. R. He seemed a little distraught and asked me if I knew that Prof R was ill. I had been unaware. I said I'd consider trying to visit Priof R, but I never did.

A couple of years after that I read his obit in a prominent journal.

To be sure, he was depressed and going through a mid-life crisis. But perhaps if I had just slept with him, he would have gotten over the infatuation thing and moved on.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 705 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 10:06 am
I once made a squirrel commit suicide.

My brother and I were young and armed with BB guns. We set our sights on a squirrel climbing the tree in our neighbors yard. We hit it again and again and again but it wouldn't die because we were to far away and our bb guns weren't that strong. But we could tell it was hurting because it was running around all frantic and crazy.

After a few minutess of this it ran to the top of the tree, which was a very tall pine, and jumped off.

I remember watching it float for a second in the air and then plummet towards the hard ground below where death finally caught up with him.

Sorry squirrel. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 12:54 pm
I suspect that the squirrel simply lost its balance due to the initial injuries.

Still a case of pointless animal cruelty. I will probably see you in Hell, but we'll be on different levels. Maybe we'll see each other in the cafeteria.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 02:23 pm
primergray wrote:
...Maybe we'll see each other in the cafeteria.

Ohh... are they serving grilled cheese?
0 Replies

furiousflee

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 02:36 pm
Well, this might sound kinda crazy....but I have no guilt....none....I have made peace with my past....and that's that....
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 03:09 pm
Humm, guess I'll just have to plea the 5th here. I'm plenty guilty of alot of things. LOL

But I guess my main guilt would be, the thoughts that run through my mind at times, when I'm saying one thing and thinking another. Its very NAUGHTY!
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Wed 1 Dec, 2004 08:01 pm
jp, I don't think they serve anything remotely appetizing. Its kinda part of the deal.

Makemeshiver - thoughts don't count, or at least I hope not. If they do I'm in even worse trouble.
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 03:35 pm
Thats true...PG, or atleast lets hope so...cause if they do count, then I'm going to hell! LOL

Lets just say that my first statement about being guilty of alot of things, still stand. Just pleaing the 5th on them..lol

And the on the thoughts...lol, had to give something.....cause God knows, I'm not an angel.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:17 pm
when i was about 13 or 14 i got my dads guy and not knowing how to check to see if it was loaded shot a hole through the wall...

my half brother and his son was living with the family at the time and my dad blamed them... i didnt say anything cus i knew i would have a major beating coming to me if i fessed up.

the brother in law and son swore up and down they didnt do it (which they didnt) and got in a huge argument and it turned a bad relationship bewteen them even worse... you all are the first to ever know what actually happened...

funny how you can confess things to total strangers
0 Replies

primergray

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:47 pm
well, good thing it was just the wall that got a hole in it.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:05 am
Seed wrote:
when i was about 13 or 14 i got my dads guy and not knowing how to check to see if it was loaded shot a hole through the wall...

my half brother and his son was living with the family at the time and my dad blamed them... i didnt say anything cus i knew i would have a major beating coming to me if i fessed up.

the brother in law and son swore up and down they didnt do it (which they didnt) and got in a huge argument and it turned a bad relationship bewteen them even worse... you all are the first to ever know what actually happened...

funny how you can confess things to total strangers

Seed, when you get to hell I'll share my grilled cheese sandwich with you.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 11:09 am
only if you pick out the maggots... cus im allergic... and i'll share my spoiled milk with you to help wash it all down...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Guilt, guilt, guilt
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 12:51:53