Using Word ‘Percentage’

Stryjek

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2017 04:10 am
Hey,
Can you please help me with word selection. Which of the options in the bracket below is the most appropriate:

'Percentage of renewable energy (in/ within/of / out of/ from/ to / over) the overall consumed energy'

Also, would you rather use a different word to replace ‘percentage’ e.g. (percent/ ratio/ rate/ share/ contribution/ percentage ratio or something else)

Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 309 • Replies: 2
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2017 06:30 am
Much depends on the rest of the sentence.

You have written just a phrase.
0 Replies

perennialloner

Reply Sat 15 Jul, 2017 07:03 am
@Stryjek,
Knowing very little about what you're trying to say and whom you're addressing what you're trying to say to, I'd say keep "percentage". Percentage could potentially be replaced by "contribution" or "share" and mean pretty much the same thing, but "ratio" and "rate" would alter the meaning significantly.

A ratio compares values, so it would be "ratio of renewable energy to the overall consumed energy".

A percentage compares values to a whole, which is the overall consumed energy?

Punkey's right about needing more but I have a feeling this is a title, subtitle, or heading of a paper? If so, my advice would be to think about what you're going to write and then decide which of your choices matches best with that.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Using Word ‘Percentage’
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:53:28