Weed Killers, Cancer and Warning Labels

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 08:44 pm
Roundup Weed Killer
Research has shown that exposure to the popular weed killer product, Roundup, may be associated with serious side effects, including: Leukemia; Bone Cancer; Non Hodgkin Lymphoma, other cancers, kidney disease, and the glyphosate-based herbicide has even been linked to a two-times increased risk of birth defects in babies born to mothers living near fields sprayed with Roundup. If you or a loved one has suffered a serious health complication you believe to be related to Roundup weed killer, contact an experienced product liability lawyer today to explore your possible compensation options.
http://www.consumersafetywatch.com/lawsuit/roundup-weed-killer

When pharmaceutical companies market a drug in public commercials they have to read all of these drug side effects at the end of the commercial.

Where are the side effect warnings for Roundup weed killers?

These highly toxic chemicals leach down into our water supply, wells, rivers and are carried out to sea where oceanic food supply is. They render the weeds no longer useful for garden mulching also.

They are harmful to insects, wildlife and other plants growing in the vicinity.
Even if people use these weed killers directly on the plant the toxins are still leached into the soil and water table with rain, wind and decay.

It would seem they stay in the soil for years if not many decades.

But not a single warning is given as to their use or the known and conclusive "side effects".

If drugs come with warnings why are these poison manufacturers not also required to read the negative side effects?

These drugs are more toxic than nicotine which comes with hazard labels?

Poisons in commercials should come with health warnings and possible side effects or the commercial should simply be banned like people actively drinking beer in commercials.

It is illegal to have someone drink beer in a commercial but people are drinking the residues of these weed killers in their water because no one warned them of the consequences...

These roundup commercials are "currently" playing round the clock on most cable channels "today" and everyday!

I find it offensive that not one single warning is provided to the consumer as to the truly toxic nature of these poisonous substances.

Just remember... "It kills roots and all"!!!

Roundup is cancer according to our courts.

Yet, not one single mention of this in the advertisement of this product?

If you watch TV how many times a day do you hear commercials list the many side effects of drugs? Many!

What are the side effects of this water soluble cancer on your lawn?

Roundup gel... A touch is all it takes.

Cigarettes cause cancer... if Roundup causes cancer too why don't the commercials say this!!!!

Why are cigarette commercials banned but not roundup?

My main gripe here is that there are no warnings.

If people are stupid enough to smoke cigarettes then at least they have been warned. But when no warning is issued then it takes choice away from the people who might prefer weeds over death.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 664 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 08:56 pm
The amount of pesticides sprayed on our food has gone up by more than half in the past several years. Almost all of it is estrogenic, which causes cancer, serious sex hormone imbalances and a host of other things. Then they wonder why average life expectancy in the last few years has begun to go down.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:07 pm
@TheCobbler,
It seems like there is independent science from reputable organizations that suggest that Roundup is not a high cancer risk. I have no skin in the game... but this might be a case where cancer fears are more a function of political ideology than of actual science.

Mother Jones is hardly a conservative voice. They suggest that it is the anti-Monsanto side that is using propaganda and distorting science.

Quote:
RoundUp has long been considered a benign alternative to harsher weedkillers. After extensive reviews, most regulatory agencies—the US Environmental Protection Agency, the European Food Safety Authority, and those of many other nations—have come to the conclusion that it does not cause cancer. So when the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), a division of the UN’s World Health Organization, declared RoundUp a probable carcinogen in 2015, there was an international outcry. Shortly after, 184 plaintiffs in California filed a legal case against Monsanto, saying that the company failed to warn them about the risks of its product. Since then, in a separate suit, hundreds more plaintiffs have claimed that RoundUp caused their cancers, citing the IARC’s findings as evidence.

About that evidence: According to a new Reuters investigation, Aaron Blair, the scientist who led the IARC’s review panel on glyphosate, had access to data from a large study that strongly suggested that Roundup did not cause cancer after all—but he withheld that data from the RoundUp review panel. Weirder still: Blair himself was a senior researcher on that study. From the Reuters report:

Previously unreported court documents reviewed by Reuters from an ongoing US legal case against Monsanto show that Blair knew the unpublished research found no evidence of a link between glyphosate and cancer. In a sworn deposition given in March this year in connection with the case, Blair also said the data would have altered IARC’s analysis. He said it would have made it less likely that glyphosate would meet the agency’s criteria for being classed as “probably carcinogenic.”

http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2017/06/monsanto-roundup-glyphosate-cancer-who/

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:07 pm
My neighbor wanted to put roundup along the fence between our properties. I talked her out of it.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
You would have talked me out of it only if you had agreed to remove the all the weeds yourself. Hopefully you are doing this.

roger

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
I used to use roundup's hand sprayers for spot weed control. I switched to Scott's and Spectracide, but not because of cancer concerns. There are just too many things in the yard that don't respond to it.

Scott's seems the best. Naturally, it's by far the most expensive.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:18 pm
@maxdancona,
A dumb ass would want to use Roundup in this situation. We are next door to the water pump that supplies our needs from ground water. Stupid shits would dump poisons and kill themselves.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are you and your neighbor using any herbicide?

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 09:32 pm
@maxdancona,
No. We tried the vinegar Dawn formula that works very well for water company employees, but this is jasmine, some tough stuff. It started in her yard and has spread to mine. I don't really mind it in the back like that, but it is important to her. Last fall I used an action rake to move it away from the fence, but on her side it is as thick as ever. Oddly, we tried to grow the same stuff where I worked and it all died, no matter how much we replanted it.
roger

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2017 10:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
Hadn't heard about that one, and I'm interested.

I have heard of vinegar as a herbicide. Here it is on Amazon. Been meaning to give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/End-Weeds-Natural-Way-Herbicide/dp/B01HWROU5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1498277488&sr=1-1&keywords=vinegar+herbicide
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 24 Jun, 2017 05:15 am
The purpose of Dawn is to thicken the vinegar, to keep it in contact with the weeds as long as possible.
0 Replies