Two Questions Concerning a Research

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2017 04:50 am
Hello. I'm Satomi.
This text below is an excerpt from a research conducted by PEW. I had several questions while reading it, some of which had been already resolved. But these two remain unsolved; please help me.
(Originally I posted this here goo.gl/mJGoiz)

"The [newspaper] industry supports nearly 33,000 full-time newsroom employees. Indeed, newspapers employ <32% of daily reporters> stationed in Washington, D.C. to cover issues and events tied to Congress, as well as 38% of the reporters who cover statehouse legislatures. Still, smaller budgets have continued to lead to smaller newsrooms: The latest newspaper newsroom employment figures (from 2014) show 10% declines, greater than in any year since 2009, <leaving> a workforce that is 20,000 positions smaller than 20 years prior."

Q1. Does this 32% mean 32% of the reporters in Washington or 32% of the reporters across the US?
Q.2 Can this "leaving" be paraphrased as ", which has made"? (If you have a different idea to paraphrase the sentence, please tell me.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 337 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Blickers

Reply Thu 15 Jun, 2017 10:46 am
@Salmagundi1027,
Q1: To my reading, the 32% applies to the reporters in Washington DC. The "statehouse" reporters, (reporters who cover state legislatures around the country), are located outside Washington DC, (which is not a state), and are not counted in that 32% statistic.

Q2: Yes, you can substitute "which has made" for "leaving" and keep the meaning intact.
Salmagundi1027

Reply Sat 17 Jun, 2017 09:11 pm
@Blickers,
Thanks a lot.
Your advice made my presentation of this research much better.
Blickers

Reply Sun 18 Jun, 2017 12:00 pm
@Salmagundi1027,
You're quite welcome. Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Two Questions Concerning a Research
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/01/2024 at 12:53:38