Aggressive Panhandlers

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 12:17 pm
I hate agressive panhandlers. This lady was standing in road begging cars for money. This one driver ask her if she wanted mcdonalds. She said she wanted to buy her own food. The driver gave her $10 and she still ask other drivers for more money. $10 should have been enough for a meal.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 659 • Replies: 5
No top replies

centrox

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 12:38 pm
@singlesucks13,
singlesucks13 wrote:
She said she wanted to buy her own food.

Buy her own drugs more like. Or booze.

Quote:
$10 should have been enough for a meal.

See above.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 May, 2017 01:07 pm
@singlesucks13,
Aggressive panhandlers are a problem and at times have been known to take verbal aggression across the line to physical. I do not have a great deal of sympathy towards those who approach and ask for money, and the ones who approach cars bug me even more. They get the driver when the driver has nowhere to escape, they're stuck dealing with the panhandler's demand for money. It's also amazing that more of them haven't been hit and run over by vehicles.

The wanting to buy their own food is understandable, we just about all want to make our own selection. As to the $10.00, it clearly would take care of her food, used properly, she could eat for an entire day....maybe through tomorrow if there were two for one deals. Sure she wants more money, she may be thinking long term. You don't know her entire situation. She may be unemployed and needs to come up with rent money, maybe she has a sick parent or partner who she is trying to help. Maybe she has a child. Talk to her, find out.

I have always talked to the panhandlers. They are people and in many cases have ended up homeless, out of work and in need. Not all of them use the dollars for drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or sex. Those who do, don't get money from me. If all they want is food, I have often taken them to a store and buy what they want, even give the leftover change to them. I'm not wealthy so I have learned to be selective.

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:09 am
I had one come up to me while riding on the subway. He went to each person asking for money when he came to me I declined. He said what are you cheap and I said no. Don't you remember me buying you a coffee? Which I had - he said where and I told him. Then he thanked me and left me alone.

I don't suggest normally confronting someone in this way but I've seen conversed with him enough to realize he was harmless and I really don't like bullying. In the car I just keep the windows rolled especially where I see this is an area known for drug addicts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 11:00 am
If a panhandler strikes me as genuine, I give if I can. I don't always carry cash. I don't ask what they want it for. If they want wine or a hamburger, that's their affair.
Kolyo

Reply Thu 1 Jun, 2017 10:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
When I was living at the shelter, there were some who stole from the rest of us because they had no other source of income.

So there are worse things the homeless could do than panhandling.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Aggressive Panhandlers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/11/2024 at 01:52:09