where to put the conditional when "if" is omitted?

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 09:29 am
Edit [Moderator]: Link removed

If I were you, I would call her. --------> Were I you, I would call her.
If I had known, I wouldn't have done it. ---------> Had I known, I wouldn't have done it.
--> In these cases, the result clause cannot come before the conditional clause.
(I wouldn't have done it had I known.)
(I would call her were I you.)
I am an English teacher in Korea. I sometimes study English grammar on the above website. And I have taught English grammar like the above as they teach. But lately, some of my students took an exam for being a civil servant. And I found one of the test questions reads as follows, which I am sure is grammatically incorrect according to what I have learned from the website. But they asked the students to choose the grammatically correct one, and the following is the answer.
*Tom might have been like that throughout his life, had he not found his son.

In this case, how can I contradict that the sentence is grammatically incorrect? in addition to the website?
Would you give me more information to support that the sentence is grammatically incorrect?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 309 • Replies: 3
No top replies

centrox

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 11:01 am
@suwon kim,
suwon kim wrote:
--> In these cases, the result clause cannot come before the conditional clause.

It often does in normal speech and writing.

suwon kim wrote:
Tom might have been like that throughout his life, had he not found his son.

In my opinion, as a long term, educated native speaker, the sentence is not incorrect.
centrox

Reply Thu 25 May, 2017 12:07 pm
English Grammar Today (Cambridge University)
Quote:
Conditional clauses usually come before main clauses but they may also come after them:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/conditionals-and-wishes/conditionals
0 Replies

suwon kim

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 04:18 am
@centrox,
If I were you, I would call her. --------> Were I you, I would call her.
If I had known, I wouldn't have done it. ---------> Had I known, I wouldn't have done it.
(I wouldn't have done it had I known.)(x)
(I would call her were I you.)(x)
I found the explantion in the following website.
http://www.englishbaby.com/contact_us/email_ebaby
I am very confused now.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » where to put the conditional when "if" is omitted?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 02:56:18