Regarding direct and indirect speech

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 10:47 am
Hi,

I just joined this forum today, hoping to have a great time and learn a lot from the experts.

So I was learing about narration(direct/indirect speech) and I came accross the following problem statement.

Statement:

I often visited her and found myself quite puzzled to see the dreadful picture which she had hung on the wall.

Questions

1) What is the reporting verb and the reported verb here ?
(My doubt is whether the phrase ("found myself quite puzzled") is part of reported clause or reporting clause.)

2) Is the sentence correct from the perspective of direct/ indirect speech. If not what is the correction required?

3) What will be the corresponding direct narration sentence?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 690 • Replies: 3
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sat 20 May, 2017 04:56 am
I often visited her and found myself quite puzzled to see the dreadful picture which she had hung on the wall.

Here's what I think. Others may have their opinion.

Main verbs in compound sentence:

I / visited . . . and . . found myself (to be) puzzled

"to see the dreadful picture" is an adverbial clause that modifies puzzled.

"which she had hung on the wall" modifies picture.

camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 10:25 pm
@PUNKEY,
The question is about direct versus indirect or quoted speech versus reported speech, Punkey.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Fri 26 May, 2017 10:38 pm
@balram-sharma,
Quote:
So I was learing about narration(direct/indirect speech) and I came accross the following problem statement.

Statement:

Questions

Quote:
1) What is the reporting verb and the reported verb here ?
(My doubt is whether the phrase ("found myself quite puzzled") is part of reported clause or reporting clause.)

The entire sentence seems to be one that one person has uttered. Reported/indirect speech is only marked to let others know that the person telling others what someone has said is not necessarily providing their exact words/direct quote.

Quote:
2) Is the sentence correct from the perspective of direct/ indirect speech. If not what is the correction required?

Yes, because it is simply what one person has said, and is therefore that one person's direct statement.

Quote:
3) What will be the corresponding direct narration sentence?

It already seems to be the direct narration sentence. It could be reported in any number of ways.

A: I often visited her and found myself quite puzzled to see the dreadful picture which she had hung on the wall.

B: [to C] What did A say, C?

C: He said that he had often visited her and found himself quite puzzled to see the dreadful picture which she had hung on the wall.

C: He said he visited her a lot and he was quite puzzled to see this dreadful picture which she had hanging on her wall.

C: [many different reports could be made]
0 Replies