Is rock music passé?

Reply Mon 15 May, 2017 09:39 pm
I don’t think the spirit of rock and roll is dead but the ‘me’ culture is ruining what is left of rock. The underground scene is filled with bands that’s for sure but the 64 million dollar question is who’s listening? That’s the sad part. It’s much much harder to stand out with all the other noise and static. Like I said, if anything there are too many rock bands now, hence none rise to the top due to the clutter. Also, for the casual listener and the mass public, music is not a priority as it perhaps was to them in the 50s to 90s. Now music is more of background thing and may have lost its center stage importance so to speak.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 432 • Replies: 2
No top replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 16 May, 2017 03:09 am

If you look at this list of the greatest rock albums of all time, we haven't had an entry in the top 10 since Radiohead's "Kid A" in 2000, and haven't had an entry into the top 100 since Radiohead's "In Rainbows" in 2007.

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?include_archival=t&include_live=t&genres=Rock

Although David Bowie's last album is at #123 (which is far better than any other post-2010 album fares in the list).

Metal is much the same. The most recent entry into the top 10 is Tool's "Lateralus" from 2001. The most recent entry into the top 100 is Mastodon's "Crack the Skye" from 2009.

http://rateyourmusic.com/customchart?include_archival=t&include_live=t&genres=Metal

The global economy underwent big economic shocks around 2001 and 2008. Perhaps humanity's musical creativity is linked to our economic prosperity. If so, when the economy really booms again, we might get more good music.

Or perhaps rock and metal have run their course, just as many other genres have done throughout history.
chirchri

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 12:45 am
@oralloy,
Get it, many thanks
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is rock music passé?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 10:25:20