Should we redshirt for Kindergarten?

Linkat

Reply Wed 17 May, 2017 08:02 am
@leasoap,
Quote:
So in the long-run, it won't really matter. Besides, school isn't a competition. It's a learning experience. What's important to me is that he does well for himself. How he measures up to other kids just isn't a big deal for me. You don't have to be the best at everything in order to be happy.

Well again - why does the teacher/school feel he should be "red-shirted"?

Most of these articles are talking about sports - the idea to hold your child back because they will be better at sports since they will be a year older. I agree this is a dumb reason (and I have children that play sports and one going to play in college next year).

I would find it shocking if a school or educator is suggesting holding a child back because of sports. If it is because of maturity, then by your own words in the long run it won't matter, so why not make his life easier now if he is having difficulty in school due to his maturity?

Some of the articles state how older kids don't do as well in college - do they explain why? Maybe because often times the older kids are held back due to academics? And younger kids are pushed forward because they are gifted? To me this makes sense that younger kids are doing better more than likely because younger kids would only be in grades ahead because they are gifted so you would logically expect that.

I think you really need to sit down and speak with the teachers/school on why. Then and only then can you make a good decision for your child. Quoted articles will tell you little about your particular child.

Try not to let your emotions take control - it sounds to me like you are worried that your child will be held back a year and it is almost insulting to you -- that your child is not ready for kindergarten. It seems you are bound and determined to get someone to agree with you so you are searching out any support that will agree with having your child move forward.

The boy I know that was held back because of maturity, actually gets fantastic grades. His wasn't academic, it was maturity and his family is happy with the decision. I am not saying that this is what you should do - but I think you should really speak with the school - you could find out that they don't feel strongly about it and you feel your child is really ready and then you would feel better about your decision or they might have some very strong evidence to the opposite. Either way at least you would feel that you thought both sides out.

If you do move him forward and he is disruptive in class or has a lot of difficulty - would you have the option of moving him back to pre-school? Or even just taking him out of kindergarten if it doesn't work out? How would he feel if this happened? These could be some discussion items you bring up when you talk with the school.
0 Replies

leasoap

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2017 01:19 pm
@izzythepush,
Fine. So based on what you said, I would be cheating by redshirting him, and so other people would rightfully view me as a cheater. Like I said, that is one of the things I want to avoid.
Foofie

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2017 02:20 pm
Is this done only for boys? If yes, what are the standard reasons? Following the majority might just make a child feel more comfortable with one's peers?
ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2017 04:04 pm
@leasoap,
That is not at all what his message was.

You're going to do what you already decided to do - you're just not getting support for it here.
0 Replies

leasoap

Reply Thu 13 Jul, 2017 09:18 pm
@Foofie,
No. In-fact the pre-school teachers said that they advised the vast majority of parents to send their boys on time. I don't really think they have a right to single my son out.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 01:20 am
@leasoap,
You really only believe want you want to believe. Here's an idea, listen to what people actually say instead of twisting it into something that fits in with your preconceptions.
Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 07:50 am
@leasoap,
leasoap wrote:

I don't really think they have a right to single my son out.

Unless there is a reason. Maybe, just maybe they actually want to help your son - and this is the way in which they feel it is best for him and would help him the most.

So if say for instance my daughter is suggested by her teacher that she should be in standard level class for history because she isn't very good in the subject, but I want her in Advanced Placement because the majority of the girls are really good in history and thus most of them were recommended for Advanced Placement, is this singling her out? Or maybe it is better for her to be in an environment where she would learn better?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 07:55 am
@leasoap,
leasoap wrote:
I don't really think they have a right to single my son out.

Of course they have the right.

The pre-school teachers are doing their job. They are responsible for their students getting the best care /education - not what their parents want.

From the very first post, you have made this about you - not the needs of your son. People who are experts in their field are giving you their opinion/advice. You don't care and seem to resent it. People here are encouraging you to listen to the professionals. You don't care.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 08:03 am
You have been told by people who have seen your child in a daycare/school setting all this time. You have not.

Why don't you believe these people, who see hundreds of kids, that your child needs a little more time to mature before he enters K?

By the time your child is in the elementary level, there probably won't be any "grades" anyway.

He will have an interview at the local school to see if he is ready for K. Where I live there is Pre-K, K, and extended K classes.
0 Replies

leasoap

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:20 am
@izzythepush,
If students who are redshirted do better, it follows logically that redshirting is cheating. They're doing better, not because of they're talented or have a strong work ethic, but simply because their parents handed them an artificial advantage. If that doesn't scream cheating, I don't know what does. I don't understand why I'm being understand for wanting to instill good morals into my son.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:37 am
@leasoap,
I think you're conflating college -level sports redshirting with academic reshirting at the pre-school/early school.

In the old days, academic redshirting was called failing/being held back.

Redshirting means the educators think your child is NOT ready to move on to the next level.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redshirting_(academic)

Quote:

Redshirting is the practice of postponing entrance into kindergarten of age-eligible children in order to allow extra time for socioemotional, intellectual, or physical growth.

talk to the teachers about this.

find out where your child needs to develop further - is it social? emotional? intellectual? physical?
0 Replies

leasoap

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:44 am
@izzythepush,
Sorry, my last responses was full of errors, so I'm reposting it.

If students who are redshirted do better, it follows logically that redshirting is cheating. They're doing better, not because they're talented or have a strong work ethic, but simply because their parents handed them an artificial advantage. If that doesn't scream cheating, I don't know what does. I don't understand why I'm being criticized for wanting to instill good moral values into my son.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:48 am
@leasoap,
Getting your kid to do better at school by putting their admission back a year is not cheating. Cheating is when they sneak the answers into an exam or cut and paste essays off the net.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:52 am
Does the child's father get to have a say in this matter?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 09:53 am
@leasoap,
leasoap wrote:
If students who are redshirted do better, it follows logically that redshirting is cheating.

redshirted children don't necessarily do better than children who were not in need of redshirting

they do better than other children who should have been redshirted but were not

they do better than they themselves would have if they had been redshirted

____

redshirting at the junior school levels is done to allow a child who is BEHIND to catch up with others of their own cohort

the teachers are trying to give your child a chance for an even playing field because he is BEHIND others at this stage
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 11:04 am
@leasoap,
leasoap wrote:

Sorry, my last responses was full of errors, so I'm reposting it.

If students who are redshirted do better, it follows logically that redshirting is cheating. They're doing better, not because they're talented or have a strong work ethic, but simply because their parents handed them an artificial advantage. If that doesn't scream cheating, I don't know what does. I don't understand why I'm being criticized for wanting to instill good moral values into my son.

Is this a game where there are winners or losers? We are talking about preschool, kindergarten and first grade here - not competing - they usually don't even get actual grades at this level.

I think you are just trying to justify what you want. Do what you want you don't need to justify to a bunch of strangers that are just trying to give you helpful advice.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 14 Jul, 2017 01:09 pm
@leasoap,
leasoap wrote:

No. In-fact the pre-school teachers said that they advised the vast majority of parents to send their boys on time. I don't really think they have a right to single my son out.

If one thinks that their child was "singled out," one might want to diplomatically inquire if there would be a reason for one's child to be redshirted, considering most other children are not redshirted in that respective gender?
0 Replies

logiccolor

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:21 am
@Sturgis,
I have an off-topic question. What did your nephew do in high school to enter college with sophomore status. I have a friend who's son is currently a freshman a high school, and he's looking for ways to have a year of college credit under his belt by the time he graduates high school.
jespah

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 04:30 am
@logiccolor,
Probably through AP classes.
Linkat

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 01:15 pm
@jespah,
Some high schools are now offering college classes. They are doing it this year at my daughter's high school. The classes will be held at the high school but taught by professors at the local community college.

Another way would be potentially to take a class on the summer or a Saturday class.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 06:53:06