Changed ceiling fan touch light kit-bad idea!

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 06:37 pm
Hi, this is my first post. My ceiling fan was installed with a touch light. It would turn on and off at it's own discretion, which was very annoying. I decided to take the touch control unit out and replace it with a pull switch. Easy, right? Black to black, white to white. No problem. Wrong! Now neither the light nor the fan will work, because the touch control unit is wired weird. After I changed it out and turned the light on there was smoke. Not good. I checked the fan's wire harness and saw that the connection of one of the white wires to the connector (there were two) was burned. The connector looked like it may have some kind of little fuse at each connection. Can somebody help me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 226 • Replies: 1
No top replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2017 08:37 am
@buckaroo,
The touch kit was likely a low voltage style switch. Any changes to the wiring probably resulted in AC power going where it wasn't intended. You'll probably need a new fan or replace all the bits inside the one you smoked.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Changed ceiling fan touch light kit-bad idea!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 08:19:42