Ferret biting

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 11:24 am
This is for all the ferret parents out there!!!
So about 3-4 months ago I got 2 girl ferrets from someone who couldn't take care of them no longer due to moving away. I was so happy to rescue them. The lady was feeding them $6 dollar bags of food from Walmart . They were so so so skinny . No meat on them what so ever . They are healthy and happy now. When I got them they were 4 and 6 months old . My blaze ferret is the sweetest girl ever . Only bites when she's very excited. She knows what hurts me and what doesn't . On the other hand my albino ferret loves to bite. I've tried the whole method of scruffing her and telling her no, hissing at her, scruffing her and dragging her across the carpet for a minute to putting her in her travel cage for 5-10 min. NOTHING WORKS. Every time I put her down from punishing her she will go right back to biting. (she only bites my feet) I feel that she thinks it's some short of game ? I ignore her the minute I put her down to let her know I'm not playing with her . At this point I don't know what to do . I just really want her to learn to stop biting . She's 7 months now, I just assumed her baby biting/teething was done with . But maybe I'm wrong . Any advice from someone who has experience with ferrets ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 434 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:37 pm
@Miami8105,
Quote:
I've tried the whole method of scruffing her and telling her no, hissing at her, scruffing her and dragging her across the carpet for a minute to putting her in her travel cage for 5-10 min. NOTHING WORKS. Every time I put her down from punishing her she will go right back to biting. (she only bites my feet)

Why ever would you drag a small animal across the carpet? That is a very negative reinforcement. I'd bite more than your feet if you did that to me.
Why not go to the library and take out a book on animal behavior or animal training.

Ferrets do bite when excited but particularly so when there are around small hyper children or loud noises. Not sure about exactly how trainable about not biting they might be or whether or not you can train them not to bite. Especially so if you try to train them by punishing them.

Try the following link to learn more info on ferret behavior:
https://www.all-about-ferrets.com/ferret-as-a-pet.html
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:33 pm
@Ragman,
Rag thank you for that

Wowe Rag I see you me and Mac have much in common, not just an excellent prof (all right mine's a bit shoddy) but can't help askin' what it is with us that keeps us at the keyboard all day

Compulsion
0 Replies

Miami8105

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 02:07 pm
@Ragman,
I've read a lot of ferret forums me the only reason I would drag my ferret was because other people with experience said that it works. I wasn't really seeing it as a negative thing . Your making me seem like I was dragging her at 70 mph. I was gently dragging her by her neck like a mother animal would do with her babies .
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:01 pm
@Miami8105,
Mia, sure wish you had a prof
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:07 pm
@Miami8105,
Why not step back a bit. As compared to a human, a mother ferret is the same species and is a lot less threatening in physical size than a human is. Plus the mother uses it's mouth to drag the baby. The effect you may have, as a human, is to appear as an all-powerful giant. Fear is a negative and, as such, is not a good motivator.

Clearly the behavior you're using is not having positive results. If I were you, perhaps I'dd refer to a animal behavior book in a library or speak to a local vet or small animal expert.

Good luck!
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:41 pm
@Ragman,
Rag thanks for ur help and patience but I don't seriously think Mia is hurtin' the beast
Miami8105

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 05:22 pm
@dalehileman,
I'll speak to a vet to see his intake on it . I would never hurt my ferrets . I love them so much .
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Ferret biting
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:05:20