The use of 'never' in the present

tok2me

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 06:14 am
Is it right to use 'never' in the present tense? For instance: The boy never understands.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 551 • Replies: 17
No top replies

tibbleinparadise

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 06:27 am
@tok2me,
I think "doesn't" (or does not if you are not into contractions) is a better choice of words. Never, as my dad always says, is a long time.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:46 am
We use 'never' to talk about habitual or expected failure, omission, absence, etc. He never washes the dishes, she never calls me, I never know what you want, etc. The boy never understands is fine.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:53 am
@tok2me,
If anything reference to an absolute is always present at any time.
centrox

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 10:42 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I never knew that.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 11:12 am
@centrox,
I agree with Centrox.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:30 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Fil Albuquerque wrote:

I never knew that.

I never promised you a rose garden; we never had a chance; they never let me play football with them; you never said you loved me. I have never been to Brussels. We will never vote for fascists.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:44 pm
@centrox,
I am not talking about English grammar, my comment was a philosophical aside on the topic, but I think it's not that hard to guess why an absolute is present for any tense you use. Such that "present tense" is defacto the best approach to it.

For instance if you say: "He never knew till the detective told him". Here the usage of never is overkill. Best to say: "He didn't knew till the detective told him."
...now on the other hand "never knows" present tense sets a standard for eternity.
The one who "nevers", at all present tenses "IS never" rather than "will never".
"Will" is "Now" when you call for an Absolute. Absolute kills past or future tense as absolute is existent permanently. Its not about what will happen or has happened but assuring that what was or will be, IS! In an alien world, with an alien sophisticated language when you absolute you use present. He IS Never know, sounds good to me.
Okee's I shut up now... Wink
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:49 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
reference to an absolute
Fil after a lifetime in Journsometimes you a2k fellas make me feel absolutely ignorant

After Cen and Max's though i don't feel so bad
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 12:59 pm
@dalehileman,
I am just killing time... Wink
dalehileman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 01:06 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
killing time
My prob Alb is I set for a 1/2-hr; then it buxzzes, whereupon tell self, 'Well, just one more lil' note to Cen, Fil, maybe even Osso,,' but when next glance at it seven hours have elapsed

I am fwdg this post to my No. 2 Son in the event that he might help me develop resistance to this compulsion
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 03:57 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:
Best to say: "He didn't knew till the detective told him."

Best to never say "He didn't knew" about anything. However, thanks for the language advice. Being in the presence of an obvious expert, I will fall silent.
tibbleinparadise

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 04:28 pm
@centrox,
I genuinely hope it was just a gross typo.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 09:52 pm
@centrox,
...oh dear..."he didn't knew X till the detective told him."
No I am not a language expert but consider myself a concept analyst. For that matter grammar sometimes might require some change. And stop being confrontational. In such light weight conversation it just looks plain bad from you. Sour tone.
tibbleinparadise

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2017 10:54 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Can we at least agree to never utter the phrase "didn't knew" again?
0 Replies

Niganwhite

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 02:21 am
Never say 'never' to your girl/boy friends
MethSaferThanTHC

Reply Sat 29 Apr, 2017 05:07 am
@Niganwhite,
As long as gays forceably own every economy, you should not beat yourself up over mere words.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The use of 'never' in the present
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 01:23:09