Introducing myself!

Dollyk

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 01:35 am
Hello there,
My husband and I are migrating to Adelaide from Zambia with our two girls, aged 10 and 9 yrs old. My husband is a software engineer and I have done a Diploma in marketing from Chartedred Institute of Marketing. We don't know a soul in Australia and would appreciate if information about jobs prospects, schools, cost of living etc could be given to us. Also we would like to know the best place to live in Adelaide.
looking forward to a positive feedback
Rgrds
Dolly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 620 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Don1

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 03:07 am
Welcome Dollyk Very Happy

If you post your question here (in the Australian section) you will have more luck.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=52
0 Replies

Dollyk

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 04:10 am
Thank-u!
Dear Don 1,
thank-u for letting me know. I have posted a msg in that section as well.
rgrds
Dolly
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 08:04 am
welcome to a2k
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:53 am
Hope to see you post in the future.

Welcome to a2k Smile
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 12:05 pm
Re: your questions, Dolly, there are quite a few Aussies here in A2K. You're bound to get good answers within a few days. Good luck in Australia and welcome to A2K.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Fri 5 Nov, 2004 10:48 pm
Welcome Dolly,

I'm from adelaide. More information would help, but to answer your questions:

The best places to live depend on what you are looking for, your budget, etc, etc

Adelaide is cheaper than most Western cities, most Australian cities even, but I know a lot of people from non western backgrounds who still find it a lot more expensice than they are used to. Although, once you get a job and are saving, it's not so bad.

Be careful to check that your qualifications are transferable ( Smile although, if you are this advanced, you probably have already). I know this sounds pessimistic, but I know a lot of people who hold professional qualifications who have came here ( or to the UK) and only been able to work in unqualified work ( factories, etc).

How much you will have to pay in education depends on which scheme you are entering the country under. A public Education is free to all Australian citizens ( and refugees) , but can be very costly for some emigrants.

Hope that helps, but, most importantly : Do your homework. Once you've done your homework, go to "www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree" and ask on the Australian branch.

Adelaide (in general) is a nice place to raise a family, but it does have some areas which aren't so nice. IF you give a list of suburbs which you are considering moving into, perhaps we can give better info.

It's hard to know the answers to your questions without knowing more about your situation. If you have any specific information feel free to pm me.
0 Replies

Dollyk

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 04:34 am
Thank-u ever so much!
Dear Odd socks,
Thank-u for yr reply. i am unable to pm u as yet 'cuz am still a new member. We r coming to Australia under the skilled independent regional migration prgrm and have been informed by our agent that we have recvd a sponsorship from adelaide. As we will be looking for jobs on arrival. I have no idea what kind of salaries we can expect. What wld be a good suburb that we cld live in? What all household goods can i bring with me? What about electrical goods?
Is it possible for u to give me the names and website of some good public school for my girls who are aged 10 and 9yrs?
Thanking-u
Dolly
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Mon 8 Nov, 2004 05:37 am
Smile

Although Adelaide isn't that big, there is still a wide range of good and bad areas. Your children will most likely be going to the school which you live ( the catchment area) so before you move anywhere check which catchment area you live in ( to make sure you get into the better school) Where you want to live depends on your budget and how you like . My favourite area is between Brighton and Hallet cove which is near the beach and has good public schools. I live down that way + love it . Since I'm a tight-ass student who doesn't mind living in substandard accommodation, my rent is very cheap, but most of the houses are very expensive to rent or own . I also love the area around Blackforest ( or anywhere in the Hills) , it is very close to forests and very green ( although possibly a risk for bushfires- though it hasn't happened yet so i'm prob. being paranoid) . It has quite good schools as well.

Most of Adelaide is very nice, but there are bad places.
The areas I detest is Salisbury, Elizabeth ( or the entire Regency area) and the area around Noarlunga (especially Morphett Vale) . Accommodation is cheap but they are very rough and a tad dangerous.

There are a lot of forums set up for people moving to Adelaide. Go to "www.google.com.au" or even better ( for australia " www.webwombat.com") . Once you've done more general research, ask me again, and I might be able to be of more assistance.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Introducing myself!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 03:14:07