Over read and taken wrong.

Tke725

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 04:45 pm
All my life people have thought I meant something else. Not literally what I just said or wrote but what I Really meant. As if I had some underlying metaphorical meaning. Why can't people just understand content not context of my words? It's always the same. It was the way you said this. It's how you looked when you said that. Even when I write something it's taken as if I meant something else, where my tone or expressions can't be seen. This has caused me much confusion, grief and even career change over my years. No wonder I frown when my face is relaxed! What's wrong with me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 350 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 04:55 pm
@Tke725,
I am no doctor, but have you ever been tested for Asperger's?

Now, I know that will sound like I've just gone from zero to sixty, but hear (read) me out. Folks who are on the Aspie spectrum tend to not quite get social signals and cues. So perhaps you are a rather mild case. You can get around in the world, for the most part, but at the same time, your communication style isn't helping you much.
centrox

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:03 pm
I have the opposite problem. I speak metaphorically, and people take me literally, or else go "duh?". Life is not easy, sometimes, for people who are more complex than average.
coluber2001

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:12 pm
@centrox,
You're probably a poet by nature or a spiritual savant. A lot of people don't even understand metaphor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:26 pm
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I am no doctor, but have you ever been tested for Asperger's?

Now, I know that will sound like I've just gone from zero to sixty, but hear (read) me out. Folks who are on the Aspie spectrum tend to not quite get social signals and cues. So perhaps you are a rather mild case. You can get around in the world, for the most part, but at the same time, your communication style isn't helping you much.

Worth looking into. One with Asperger's sends the wrong signals pretty often. A little therapy would likely be a life changer, if that's what it is. Even if it's something else, actually.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:40 pm
@Tke725,
Tke725 wrote:

All my life people have thought I meant something else. Not literally what I just said or wrote but what I Really meant. As if I had some underlying metaphorical meaning. Why can't people just understand content not context of my words? It's always the same. It was the way you said this. It's how you looked when you said that. Even when I write something it's taken as if I meant something else, where my tone or expressions can't be seen. This has caused me much confusion, grief and even career change over my years. No wonder I frown when my face is relaxed! What's wrong with me?

Congratulations! You are so lucky. Well keep up the good work.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 01:39 am
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

I have the opposite problem. I speak metaphorically, and people take me literally, or else go "duh?". Life is not easy, sometimes, for people who are more complex than average.

Don't get me wrong - I don't speak all the time in metaphors, but sometimes in conversation, without consciously thinking about it, I come out with compact or apt expressions of a situation or idea. For example: I work in a finance audit environment and our team uncovered a loophole that was allowing quite large sums of expenses to be claimed which should not have been paid. We got the finance policy altered to stop it. We heard that a number of people in the organisation were upset that they would now get less money per month. I said to some colleagues "the gravy train has run into the buffers". This was greeted with admiration by some, and puzzlement followed by comprehension by others. I had a young temporary line manager who used to write down the things I said so she could use them later in meetings. I see these 'sayings' of mine as being remarkable only for their triteness and obviousness, they are neither clever nor opaque, and it embarrasses me when they are picked up like that. So much so that I now try to avoid doing it, but sometimes they slip out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Over read and taken wrong.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 04:20:16