The Official Star Wars Episode VIII Anticipation Thread!

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 10:40 am
A lot of unanswered questions arisen from the recent return of the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015).

Hopefully, we can get some of those mysteries solved come December withStar Wars: The Last Jedi (2017).

Who is the Last Jedi? Who is Rey's father? How powerful can Kylo Ren get? Who or what the frack is Supreme Leader Snoke? Are they just going to carbon copy the story structure and basic story arc of Empire Strikes Back? How much wood can a wood ewok wok if a wood ewok could cook wood in a wok?

What are you looking forward to in the next chapter of this epic franchise? Did you even see Rogue One (2016) and if not, how long were you in that medically induced coma?

Krumple

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 11:03 am
@tsarstepan,
I liked Rogue One.

Dont care about what gets answered. I like the mysteries. Rey is obviously a strong Jedi, without any training she was able to go toe to toe with Kilo. Able to manipulate minds like Obi. Does she need training?

My guess is they destroy each other. But Rey will survive and Luke will die to save her from something Kilo does.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 03:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
I liked Rogue One a lot, but hated the last Star Wars movie.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 20 Apr, 2017 04:20 pm
@tsarstepan,
https://cdn.meme.am/cache/instances/folder966/500x/43827966.jpg
farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 03:39 am
@McGentrix,
now that is funny. it is spellcheck, we need a thought check.

my first memory of dog was cow chow named :fluffy". It was a retired guard dog so dog looked at me as its only client.

"Fluffy" was probably not good name for dog, shoulda been Charlie.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 07:21 am
@tsarstepan,
I thought you might appreciate this.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 07:26 am
@izzythepush,
Simon Pegg does have a soft spot in my heart... Damn you! How dare you keep posting humour I approve of?! DAMN! Now you have me adding unnecessary U's!!!!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 07:34 am
@McGentrix,
Don't blame me. I just assumed it would go over your head.

Seriously if you like Pegg you might want to check out Spaced and Big Train.

farmerman

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 07:52 am
@McGentrix,
PAUL (and Pulp Fiction) are my all time guilty pleasures movies.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 09:07 am
@izzythepush,
Will need to check that out. A favorite of mine.

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 12:35 pm
@McGentrix,
Graham Lineham, who penned the IT, crowd also did Black Books and Father Ted.

McGentrix

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 05:45 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Graham Lineham, who penned the IT, crowd also did Black Books and Father Ted.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEVpNdJDBJE[/youtube]
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MVRonuW608[/youtube]

Black Books is going to be an enjoyable rabbit hole. Thanks!
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Apr, 2017 06:25 pm
@McGentrix,
If you like Richard Ayoade, you might like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Marenghi%27s_Darkplace
McGentrix

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 09:59 am
@izzythepush,
Ok, both series essentially have the same dynamic. Both have three main characters: a dysfunctional Irish man (Bernard/Roy), a geeky English man (Manny/Moss) and a single woman who has a series of unsuccessful dates (Fran/Jan).

Way too similar, but it works. I enjoyed Black Books very much.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Apr, 2017 01:59 pm
@McGentrix,
Fran also goes on a date with a gay man.

I've done a gig with Dylan Moran btw.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2017 12:01 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
A lot of unanswered questions arisen from the recent return of the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015).

Hopefully, we can get some of those mysteries solved come December withStar Wars: The Last Jedi (2017).

Who is the Last Jedi? Who is Rey's father? How powerful can Kylo Ren get? Who or what the frack is Supreme Leader Snoke? Are they just going to carbon copy the story structure and basic story arc of Empire Strikes Back? How much wood can a wood ewok wok if a wood ewok could cook wood in a wok?

In addition to unanswered questions, there is also a major plot point that they didn't do a good job of explaining, that should probably be understood before seeing the next movie.

After Return of the Jedi, the galactic capital was moved from Coruscant.

Episode 7 shows the latest superweapon blowing up a planet, but without going into much detail about who or what was being blown up.

The planet that was destroyed was the new galactic capital. This means that Episode 8 will take place in a galaxy where there is no longer any centralized government.

tsarstepan wrote:
What are you looking forward to in the next chapter of this epic franchise? Did you even see Rogue One (2016) and if not, how long were you in that medically induced coma?

I saw Rogue One in theaters twice, first 3D in a Premium Large Format theater, then 2D with DBOX seats. And I'm planning to buy the 3D Blu Ray.

I'm not quite as enthused about Episodes 7-9. Although I saw 7 in 3D with DBOX seats, and I'm probably going to go see 8 + 9 in a Premium Large Format theater.

Since some parts of 8 were filmed on 70MM IMAX, I'll even go see the movie in IMAX if they do a 70MM showing in Grand Rapids. But I'm not going to bother with any LIEmax nonsense.
Seizan

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2017 08:10 pm
Question for those knowledgeable of Star Wars Canon (I am not so well-versed)...

It was my understanding (misunderstanding) that only a trained Jedi can operate (turn on, use, control) a light saber. For good or evil, the mind must be strong enough to control the crystal that powers the unit, right?

Is this so -- a non-trained, non-Jedi would just be holding a piece of elaborate junk?
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 05:56 am
@Seizan,
If this supposed law of jedi physics exists, I suppose it has to be written in one of the canonic novels or comic book series (which I admittedly never read or intend to read). I don't remember it even being implied in the movies.

I'm assuming you are referring to the climactic battle between Rey and Kilo Ren in the Force Awakens?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 06:46 am
@Seizan,
Seizan wrote:

Question for those knowledgeable of Star Wars Canon (I am not so well-versed)...

It was my understanding (misunderstanding) that only a trained Jedi can operate (turn on, use, control) a light saber. For good or evil, the mind must be strong enough to control the crystal that powers the unit, right?

Is this so -- a non-trained, non-Jedi would just be holding a piece of elaborate junk?

No, a light saber is a tool just as a blaster would be.

The ability to foresee an opponents attack, deflect a blaster shot, dodge and flip while attacking, these are all abilities granted by the force. Some people are what could be considered "naturals" in sword wielding while others might be super accurate with a blaster. There has been times when Han Solo used a light saber and I think we'd all agree tha the force is lacking in him... lol
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 28 Apr, 2017 06:51 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

There has been times when Han Solo used a light saber and I think we'd all agree tha the force is lacking in him... lol

There is/was speculation that he had some inherent dormant force in him and that ... (and I think this speculation is kind of stupid/silly) he will return to the next movie via limited force ghosting.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Official Star Wars Episode VIII Anticipation Thread!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 02:40:49