Toxic parents

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 02:44 pm
I'm a 21 year old whose going to be 22 in august
. I've been living with my boyfriend for a year now while my parents are roughly 9 hours away from me . I left home last year due today my mom not supporting none of my choices . I'm not currently in college but I do work 5 days a week. My bf works 6 days a week and has to drive me to work everyday because we share a car.i don't have my license yet but have a permit . My parents and other family members have been down my throat and always yelling at me. they think I'm brain washed because I'm not in school and because they think my bf spends all of my money and that I'm baby sitting him all the time . Which if they actually watched us and what we do on a daily basic they would realize that he's an amazing boyfriend who makes his own money and shees a future with me . I've been with him for 3 years and my parents usto like him until he apparently " took me away from my mother" which it was my choice to leave home . I felt like the only thing that came out of my moms mouth was negative words about my bf and my life choices. Every time we talk on the phone she is either judging me/ yelling at me about what I'm doing with my life .she always makes me feel like sh**, and makes me feel like I'm not worth anything . She always assumes the worst is going to happen to me such as become homeless or get pregnant etc . I was just curious to know if I should feel bad about my mother and what she is telling me or should I be the boss of my self and let her go ? I don't want that type of negativity in my life when I know I'm doing perfectly fine . I want to have a good relationship with my mom. I just don't know how to tell her that she needs to support me and my choices . I feel like if she's not gonna at least pretend to support me than she shouldn't be in my life . I can't handle the negative/ toxic vibes that come out of her
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 378 • Replies: 6
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 03:20 pm
@Miami8105,
You're not required to love your mother. Period.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 04:42 pm
Stop trying to seek approval from her. When she gets negative tell her that you cant get into an argument with her. Set standards for how much crap you take from her.

Live your life and do your best. Set goals with your BF and work to get a career.

Young love isnt easy these days. Do your best.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 06:13 pm
@Miami8105,
Some parents are overbearing, even if you were a superhero saving the entire galaxy from being enslaved by an evil alien overlord your mom would still think you are wasting your life or making bad choices.

I know she's a downer for you but keep in mind she won't be around for ever. If you cut her out of your life you might regret it later, especially if you have babies. She will change when she's a grandma and you'll see her spoil your kids and treat them better than she ever did you.

Its a strange experience. Just try to thicken your skin when you speak with her. It could be worse.
Miami8105

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 08:28 pm
@Krumple,
Thank you. My mom is in her 70s already . I was adopted so I feel like I still need her because I would feel like a sack of **** if something happened to her . It just gets on my last nerves when she talks crap .
Krumple

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 08:32 pm
@Miami8105,
Miami8105 wrote:

Thank you. My mom is in her 70s already . I was adopted so I feel like I still need her because I would feel like a sack of **** if something happened to her . It just gets on my last nerves when she talks crap .

Its only because she had a vision for your life. Its not fair that she expects you to live up to her vision she has of you. But that's just what all parents do. Some have learned to accept things as they are. Just reassure her you are happy and that is the most important thing. If it's a mistake youll learn from it.
Miami8105

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2017 08:44 pm
@Krumple,
Every time I tell
My mom I'm happy she tells me I'm lying to my self. But I truely am happy . Also I want to add that she tries to get my family members to get together with me for holidays only to find out that they only wanted to see me was to convince me to try and come back home . My mom seriously tries to hard to get me back home . And my 2 older siblings (23& 24 ) just recently got places of there own about 20-30 min away from home . But she doesn't say negative crap about them . They both have learning disabilities and one has slight autism. All they do is work and get disability checks from the government to cover there rent . Which both of them are capable of taking college classes at a community school . And I know I shouldn't be talking crap about them this way cause they do have it a bit harder than I do but it really annoys me how my mums always supporting them and talking good things about them to me whenever I call ... it bugs me . Sad
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Toxic parents
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 11:43:31