Lets get a bet going.

gezzy

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 05:09 pm
We had a freezing rain storm on Sunday in the very early hours in the morning. We lost our power at 9am Sunday morning and didn't get it back until 11pm Monday night. Well, we have another storm starting anytime now of the same nature. We are getting lots more freezing rain and snow throughout the night. Do you think we'll lose the power again, or do you think we'll get lucky this time? Personally I hope we get lucky because we had to shovel out yesterday because it was far too cold to stay in the house any longer. We rented a nice cottage for the night, but as we all know, that can get costly and it really was a struggle just getting there.

So, do you think I'll be lucky tonight, or do you think I'll be shoveling us out again in the morning? Lets get some bets on the table. If I don't respond back here for a few days, you'll know why Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,149 • Replies: 13
No top replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:04 pm
oh no! Good luck tonight gezzy.....
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:07 pm
Stay as warm as you can! Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:12 pm
Good luck, gezzy. Quite a few people around here lost power around here last night as well - not to the extent in your area though (i've just been listening to cbc coverage). The way the winds are kicking up here right now, i won't be surprised if we lose power again tonight - and i'm crossing my fingers that the storm that hit Ottawa and the valley won't make it to you.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:15 pm
Good luck all!!! I am about to hit the you WILL lose power poll, as an attempt not to tempt Providence!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 07:21 pm
Big power shortage, the other day in the chicago area. Now the natural gas supply has returned to normal. Razz
0 Replies

Tim King

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:39 pm
8-ball says "It is decidedly so." Sorry, Gezzy. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 08:59 pm
Gez..its a most definate

NO way...couldnt be, not at all....

no worries

Okay, and if it does happen...I voted no, so as to push the favor for you.

Bad time of year for that anyway...blah...who wants no power now???
We'd miss you, itd be too much......
let us know

ahem

when you can

Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Feb, 2003 09:16 pm
Here's hoping she's got an awsome woodstove....
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 04:59 am
Hi all :-)
Gee, thanks for all the support gang. You guys are awsome. I went to take a nap after I posted this question last night and I guess I was pretty wiped out because I ended up sleeping through the night.
To my surprise, I woke up to the power being on. I looked outside and it it still freezing rain and everything is covered in a sheet of ice, so we are not even close to being out of the woods yet.

Littlek
Thanks for your good wishes. Unfortunately, we have no wood stove at all. If we did have one, we wouldn't have had to leave since we would have had heat and been able to cook. Every year we invest in something big that we need. This year was the snow blower and next year will no doubt be a wood stove.

New Haven
So far so good. I've got my fingers crossed.

Dlowan
Thanks. That's a good idea ;-)

Tim King
So far the 8-ball is wrong and I sure do hope it stays that way ;-)

Quinn
LOL. Still holding over here. We may be holding by just a thread, but we're holding and trying not to let go.

Beth
What a mess of storms we are having all over Canada. I'm glad you guys didn't get hit that bad on your end. Boy, we really got nailed over here and it's not over yet. We are lucky to have our power back. On the news they are saying that some people in this area won't get their power back until Thursday or Friday.

Most of the people here in the rural areas are equipped with wood stoves and/or gererators which is good and since everyone pretty much knows eachother in these small communities, most people without a wood stove or gererator have a place to go. Lots of people that were born and raised here have never seen anything like this in there lives which includes people in their 60's. Trees are snapping right in half and are splitting right down the middle. We already lost one of our apple trees and our neighbor lost the tops of some of their trees. All this damage caused just from freezing rain and you really have to see it to believe it.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:10 am
And what about having a generator in standby? This might have solved all the problems with supply of electricity...
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 05:36 am
I suppose it would. Most people around here can't afford things as expensive as a generator, so they rely on their wood stoves's. Personally, I would rather have a wood stove because with the snow drifts getting so high around here, it not always easy to get to our shed, which is where we would have to keep it. It is all set up in our basement for a wood stove so that the heat would travel through the vents heating the whole house, which would also prevent us from worrying about the pipes freezing. Next year we will certainly be prepared for this before winter starts.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 5 Feb, 2003 06:10 pm
Good news, gezzy!

A lot of kids just west of here were delighted again today, with another day off of school due to roads being closed because of ice and blowing snow. There's a township called East Garifraxa that gets snow days every year - they are right at the leading edge of the snow belt.

Your storm sounds a lot like the ice storm of several years ago that hit Eastern Ontario, Quebec and northern New York state. The large, older trees in my parents' neighbourhood are still recovering from losing their crowns. My first trip back there after the storm was a real shock.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 6 Feb, 2003 07:28 am
Well, for all of those who said we wouldn't lose the power again won. :-D I am very happy that we were able to hang on this time.

Beth
I'm sure the kids were thrilled to get that time off from school, Although my son wasn't one of them since I'm home schooling him ;-) Oh well, it looks like more education for him, lol.
Between the two storms, it made a mess. The first one was the worst and I couldn't believe the damage it did. I have an aunt and uncle that live about 10 miles from here who still don't have their power back. Lucky for them they have a generator, so they have the essentials. There was a man on the news who said that he's lived here for 55 years and has never seen anything like this. The sun is shining now, but it's still cold. My driveway is a sheet of ice and since it's on a small hill I'm going to have major problems getting up the driveway when I go out. Tons of people here lost the tops of thier trees and some are still out of power.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Lets get a bet going.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 05:11:34