NORWAY RATS ABANDONING NORWAY

Setanta

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 01:27 am
Apparently, because of climate change. I head this on the radio, and didn't catch the source. Does anyone else have some info on this?

roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 01:42 am
@Setanta,
No, but geeze, where do you go from Norway.
saab

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 01:52 am
@roger,
Into Sweden of course - all cats have been transferred to the border!
Saw it TV. It´s a cat and mouse war.
Some try to escape via the Russian border.
centrox

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 01:53 am
The brown rat, is also referred to as common rat, street rat, sewer rat, Hanover rat, Norway rat, Norwegian rat, or wharf rat, is thought to have originated in China. It has now spread to all continents except Antarctica, and is the dominant rat in Europe and much of North America. Nobody knows for sure why the species is called Rattus norvegicus (Norwegian rat) as it did not originate from Norway, and didn't even get there until 1728 approximately. The name Hanover rat is supposed to have arisen because of politics in England around the time the species became numerous there (blame them on some foreigners). Maybe the Norway thing arose because they travelled in ships holds and lots of ships were (still are) Norwegian.

Charles Dickens commented on the Norway myth:

""Now there is a mystery about the native country of the best known species of rat, the common brown rat. It is frequently called, in books and otherwise, the 'Norway rat', and it is said to have been imported into this country in a ship-load of timber from Norway. Against this hypothesis stands the fact that when the brown rat had become common in this country, it was unknown in Norway, although there was a small animal like a rat, but really a lemming, which made its home there."[ "

As they seem to prosper in all climates, I can't see why they would avoid Norway if that country's climate were warming up.
saab

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:12 am
@centrox,
Maybe they are not leaving because of the climate change but a political climate change.
http://images.forwallpaper.com/files/thumbs/preview/27/279760__cheese-rat-mouse-white-background_p.jpg
roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:14 am
@saab,
Thank you saab. I knew somebody would have an answer.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:15 am
@saab,
OMG! I know longer have to wonder how Swiss cheese gets those holes.

You are really on a roll tonight - or today in your case.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:22 am
But is it Swiss?

http://www.jarlsberg.com/assets/img/pages/home/cheese.png
roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:23 am
@centrox,
As I heard the story, if it develops holes, they ship it to America. They keep the good stuff for themselves.
centrox

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:39 am
saab wrote:

https://www.google.de/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjouZqY7YLTAhWCXhQKHRXbBCgQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pixgallery.com%2Fsearch%3Fq%3DNorsk%2Bflagga&psig=AFQjCNES9Zg6-d-lEEdvwQ64d8QeGfrZeg&ust=1491122190840414

You mean... ?
http://static.beta.pixgallery.com/images/thumbnail/B/X/X/PIX-BXXFB4.jpg
saab

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:41 am
@centrox,
Ja, klart - det norske flag.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:41 am
@centrox,
Are you sure saab wrote that? I can't find it anywhere.
blatham

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:42 am
I once had a rat
or should I say
it once had me
saab

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:43 am
@roger,
Roger - the holes are full of clean and fresh either Swiss or Norwegian mountain air.
They just love it over there in the big cities.
saab

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:44 am
@roger,
Yes I copied it - found it too long and deleted. Before it was gone controx had already answeted.
See he is a very fast thinking man....
roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:45 am
@saab,
Air? Air! We've been paying for air! We are so gullible.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:47 am
@saab,
Oh. I thought he was trying to create a diversion from, well, whatever the topic was.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:48 am
@blatham,
I had a mouse in the basement. I asked the neighbour if I could borrow his cat to catch the mouse.
His cat was far too stupid to catch mice... no luck. So I left.
Went back home, sat down and figured out how to catch it. I did in the wastebasket. Carried it out and put the little creature out on the lawn.
roger

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 02:52 am
@saab,
Yeah. I thought my cat would catch a bug bumbling across the carpet, but no. He sat down and gazed at it intently. Finally, showing great feline spirit, he reached down and kind of nudged it along. Vicious predator my cat is.
blatham

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2017 03:11 am
@saab,
I'm rather fond of mice actually. In my store in Portland, we had a little fellow (or fellowess) who was just the cutest thing. When the store was quiet, it would sneak out and then zip about really fast, hiding spot to hiding spot. I regarding it as a friendly little tourist.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » NORWAY RATS ABANDONING NORWAY
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:59:12