Impressionism in Western art?

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 08:52 pm
Why do you think Impressionism is still one of the most popular art movements in Western art?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 369 • Replies: 4
No top replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:06 pm
@Marshmallow2017,
One of the reasons, I suppose, is that it's still representational. After impressionism you have the fauves, the cubists, and abstract expressionists. Nothing very warm after the Impressionists. Nothing very challenging with the impressionists.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2017 10:10 pm
@Marshmallow2017,
What do you think Marshmallow?
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 09:22 am
@Marshmallow2017,
Because it's light, simple, and uncomplicated. It's aesthetically beautiful but lacks any political context. Ultimately, it's one of the most accessible art movements. You don't need to understand the artist's language, historical context, or the deep meaning of the painting.

What you see is what you get. But instead of realist movements preceding it and following it? Impressionism brings flavors of whimsy and optimism into new lights.

I'm not knocking Impressionism. It's a great and necessary bridge linking movements of the history of Western Art.
coluber2001

Reply Wed 29 Mar, 2017 10:57 am
@tsarstepan,
Yes, accessibility is the answer. It's pretty, it touches the emotions, it's accessible and non-challenging. Impressionism in music is somewhat similar. When listening to Ravel or Debussy, you just have to lie back and let it wash over you. It tends to be programmatic describing scenes or feelings. It's fairly accessible, but still it's not my favorite type of music.

Impressionism in paintings is like dessert, everybody enjoys it, but maybe not as a main course, though one is tempted . It was an excellent transition from realism to modernism, which became less accessible and more challenging.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Impressionism in Western art?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:31:55