Robots Die in Fukushima Plant

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 11:29 am
In 2011, a 9.0 magnitude earthquake off the coast of Japan caused a massive tsunami, which in turn led to the meltdown of three nuclear reactors at the Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant in Fukushima, Japan. As a result, the site went on to release radioactive material for the next three days, becoming only the second such disaster in history–after Chernobyl in 1986–to be classified a Level 7 event on the Nuclear Event Scale.

http://secondnexus.com/technology-and-innovation/fukushima-robots-keep-dying/

So perhaps it should come as no surprise that, just past the tragedy’s six year anniversary, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (Tepco) has made little progress in cleaning up the disaster site.

While Tepco has spent much of its time containing radiation and attempting to minimize groundwater contamination, its current mission is to locate and retrieve 600 tons of melted nuclear fuel rods lost somewhere in the radioactive wreckage. As the levels of radiation are still too high for human exposure, this task has fallen to robots. Yet so far, even the robots have failed repeatedly to locate the melted fuel rods; instead, they are dying within the reactors they were sent in to survey.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 693 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
All this makes me question the wisdom of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics organizers who have decided to have the baseball and softball parts of the games be held in Fukushima.

I also wonder which brave Olympians will be willing to risk their lives there...

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ed, the same folk who Ed software build nuke plants on earthquake faults
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Are you implying that this is the inciting event that ignites the oncoming robot uprising and apocalypse?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 12:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
I read enough Asimov to believe in robots.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 01:03 pm
Long ago I had a classmate (bacteriology) who married a guy whose last name was Fukishima; I got to go to the rather terrific wedding. We all liked them; it was a happy wedding. Wonder how they are by now... being me, I mostly remember the great food from the different cultures.
If I remember correctly, he was hoping to open up his own medical laboratory.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2017 02:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Long ago I had a classmate (bacteriology) who married a guy whose last name was Fukishima; I got to go to the rather terrific wedding. We all liked them; it was a happy wedding. Wonder how they are by now... being me, I mostly remember the great food from the different cultures.
If I remember correctly, he was hoping to open up his own medical
laboratory.

He would have plenty of patients around Fukushima.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Robots Die in Fukushima Plant
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 03:40:22