I need help/advice to save my 20 year marraige!

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:49 am
Hi all, any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'm sorry this is so long. My husband and I have been married for 20 years this month. I always thought we had a amazing marraige but then about 7 years ago he started spending more and more time away from me. He started playing this online game for 6 hours aday. He was talking to all these different girls. I really hated it! I told his this. If he wasn't at work he was on the game. Then his mother who hates me moved in. She started making me miserable. I begged him to please make her leave. She could do it on her own. He refused. Anyways long story short I made the worse misteak of my life and starting talking to this guy online. It got heated it I'll amit it. I'll never do that again! My husband found out and after days of talking we desided to work it out. Foward 6 years later all was going great! We were closer then ever and he meets a female friend on facebook and they get really close. Once am I telling how much I hate it and he tells me don't make me deside between me and her, so I don't. After all I love him and trust him. Still the same he knows I'm gealous. Now it's been one year and last night he asked for a divorce. I asked him if we could try to work it out. He said I'll give it 6 months. So my question is does anyone have any advice? I really want my marriage to work out. I don't know how two days ago he was telling me I love you and I'm in love with you and today he's telling I want a divorce. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 244 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 12:23 pm
@Hurt Bunny,
Right now he holds all the cards because you are letting him.

Does his mother still live with you? Because at this point I would, personally, be packing my bags. And I love my own MIL. It's more that I would not want to be the one my husband never seemed to side with. That is what it is looking like here. It is one thing to take someone in temporarily. When it turns permanent, there are problems. After all, does he expect you will become his mother's caregiver when the time comes? You should have a say in that, certainly, and in whoever lives under your roof.

Will he go to counseling? Or does he just have "I get to file for divorce! Yippee!" set on his personal calendar for September 12th?

That will kind of tell the tale. If he is willing to work on your marriage (and I believe that, except in cases of abuse), most long-term marriages really should be tried for. You establish 2 decades with someone and it's downright insulting for either or both parties to just say, "Ha, oops, my bad, I didn't mean it. Later, peace out."

If he does not want to go to counseling, then I suggest you contact a lawyer and learn your rights in this matter. Because I will bet, dollars to donuts (and particularly if his mother is still living there with you), that he will try to kick you out of the marital home. Please don't go without at least getting some serious coin for that. And I do know divorce is not just about the bucks but if you are left without a place it will hurt you financially. Don't add financial hardship to heartbreak. At least protect your rights.
Hurt Bunny

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 01:07 pm
@jespah,
Hi, first of all thank you for your advice. His mother has moved out and that's when things were getting better. He said he would try marriage counseling but he doesn't think it will help. So now I'm at a loss because I feel like he's not even going to try.
jespah

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 01:41 pm
@Hurt Bunny,
Okay, well there's something at least re your MIL.

Just because he doesn't think it will work is not a reason to not bother with marriage counseling. He could, after all, be wrong.

And one thing counseling does is, you bring things to the surface. So you would probably both talk about your online stuff. It does not mean marriage counseling will 100% save a marriage, either. But it's an effort, rather than just throwing in the towel without even trying.
Hurt Bunny

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 04:17 pm
@jespah,
Thank you I apperiate your help.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I need help/advice to save my 20 year marraige!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 03:47:26