Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce.

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2017 01:43 pm
A cynic's dictionary. A couple of my favorite definitions: Positive--Mistaken at the top of one's voice.
Saint--A dead sinner revised and edited.

Bierce, a late 19th century writer said around 1914 during the Mexican revolution that for an American to visit Mexico at this time is suicide. He went. He was never heard from again.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~hyper/bierce/bierce.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 219 • Replies: 3
No top replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 09:16 am
Speculation about Ambrose Bierce's journey into Mexico during the Mexican revolution was portrayed in the movie, "The Old Gringo, " with Gregory Peck in the title role. It's been some time since I've seen it, but it portrays him as a man with a very strong character who somehow gets involved with the leaders of the of the movement.
roger

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 12:47 pm
@coluber2001,
Oddly, I recently read a book involving Bierce. Can't recall the title but I'm sure the author is Winston Groom, who is better known for history than fiction.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 01:39 pm
@roger,
I vaguely remember reading a book when I was in school called "the incident at Owl Creek Bridge" about a soldier who was shot and what goes through his mind in the few moments that it takes for him to die. These few moments are stretched into a long time period.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 05:53:58