The Mandela Effect

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 02:31 pm
What is the Mandela Effect?
from Wiki

Quote:
Collective false memories
Similar false memories are sometimes shared by multiple people. For example, a somewhat commonly reported false memory is that the name of the Berenstain Bears was once spelled Berenstein. Another reported example are false memories of a movie starring the comedian Sinbad, called Shazaam. In one study, 92% of those familiar with a train-station clock that had been stopped 16 years after a terrorist attack as a symbolic commemoration, falsely remembered that it had been stopped since the attack itself. In 2015 this phenomenon was dubbed the "Mandela Effect" by self-described "paranormal consultant" Fiona Broome, in reference to a false memory she reports, of the death of Nelson Mandela in the 1980s (rather than in 2013), which she claims is shared by "perhaps thousands" of other people. Broome has speculated about alternate realities as an explanation, but most commentators suggest that these are instead examples of false memories shaped by similar factors affecting multiple people, such as social reinforcement of incorrect memories, or false news reports and misleading photographs influencing the formation of memories based on them.

anybody have any of these memories to share

anyone remember that time Richard Gere shoved Goebbels up his ass

it must be a false memory, Goebbels died 4 years before Gere was born

centrox

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 02:46 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
anyone remember that time Richard Gere shoved Goebbels up his ass

It was gerbils, wasn't it? And it's an urban legend that he was taken to a hospital to get them removed.
Blickers

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:19 pm
@centrox,
Not so much urban legend as time allowing Nazis to get confused in the public mind. Goebbels was far too serious a fellow to let someone stick gerbils up his ass, as this photo attests. Here, Goebbels has just found out the guy taking his picture is Jewish, and as you can see, Goebbels is all business:
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3oo7SWa9NE8/V_iB1rZRwLI/AAAAAAAALZQ/cyeEdA7vgfgis2OE9fiEzyonGjgdDkizQCLcB/s1600/eyes_of_gate_goebbels.jpg

Now Goering-that's a different story. Goering was a party person who was heavily into drugs and walked around all day wearing makeup and jewelry. Gerbils up the ass was a definite possibility with Goering.
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:20 pm
@centrox,
right...
I also take Deege as kidding.. so good at that.

Just yesterday I realized that I may have mixed up the singers, Tracy Chapman and Joan Armatrading, stating recently that I had seen Tracy at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium. I think I've seen and heard them both, but now my memory is blurred.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:24 pm
So, was Goering ever visiting in Mandalay?
roger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:34 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Finally! A digression. Somebody call Deb.
centrox

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:36 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:
I realized that I may have mixed up the singers, Tracy Chapman and Joan Armatrading

I am always doing that.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:40 pm
@ossobucotemp,
You are confusing him with Ernest Borgnine in the hit movie of 1934 named Mandalay.
roger

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:42 pm
@Sturgis,
I know about Mandalay. Hotel in Vegas, right?
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:43 pm
@roger,
I used to love those threads. I wish I'd had time to save them when Abuzz was shutting down.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:45 pm
@roger,
Wait! Wasn't Mandalay the vice president under President Coco Chanel?
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:48 pm
@Sturgis,
So Marty was at Mandalay.. I never knew that.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:50 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Oh yes. I read it in Mad Magazine...

...or was it The New York Post? (not that there's much difference)
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:56 pm
@Sturgis,
I gather The Daily Mail is like that. I haven't checked it out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 03:57 pm
@Sturgis,
I was awfully mad about Emily Post when I saw her cha-cha with Tony Randall.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 04:00 pm
i'm pretty sure that all you guys are thinking of Art Vandelay
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 04:01 pm
@djjd62,
Does he have anything to do with Uber?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 04:19 pm
@djjd62,
You're right.

It was probably Tony Danza.

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 04:42 pm
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2017 06:07 pm
@jespah,
I read an interesting book a month or two ago, set in Malaya in 1941. It took a bit of work, but in general I'm glad I read it.

A Novel
White Pearl
by Kate furnivall
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Mandela Effect
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 07:24:57