Which Mushrooms..(in cooking) ?

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2017 02:06 am
Shitake vs. Crimini vs. Portobella... what is the difference?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 658 • Replies: 6
No top replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2017 02:21 am
@visceral,
Imagine the magick: falling under the spell of a fungi steeped in mystery.

If you've had a vegan for dinner then you've probably popped a Portobello cap into the mix.

But on the other hand , Cremini, the minuscule younger version of the massive meaty Portobello is a contender.

Shiitake: it's any way you want, the taste of this woody, soft and fleshy morsel provides so much room in cooking it almost glows in the dark.

I like to sauté in butter.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Portobello_Mushroom_vs_Shiitake_Mushroom
Pearlylustre

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 06:04 am
@nacredambition,
I'm not familiar with the others but shiitake are a staple in my kitchen. I use them in Japanese soups and noodle dishes and all sorts of other things. The dried ones add richness to Japanese dashi when you want a stronger flavour (or use them with kombu to make a vegan dashi if required) but otherwise only use fresh ones. I love them so much I'm growing them in my bath. Smile
nacredambition

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2017 11:16 pm
@Pearlylustre,
One way or another we've got quite the threesome happening here.

You'd know cremini as the button mushies you eschew and her big sister the portobello, while shiitake all the prizes.

A mysterious case of beech mushrooms in a beach bathroom?

Ichi-go ichi-e (一期一会)

Pearlylustre

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 05:21 am
@nacredambition,
I thought cremini were different to button mushies which I definitely don't eschew. A day isn't a day if there isn't a mushroom of some kind in it. (Though the worst ones caused spiders to come out of the walls... and for many years after I thought I could seen them again out of the corner of my eye.) I also enjoy enoki and occasionally shimeji but they only come 'fresh' here from China and Korea. More for visual appeal than taste. Not a big fan of oysters. I recently bought some local truffle oil which was very disappointing and I think I'll throw it out and buy something Italian. I can't think of anything that smells better than truffle oil (sadly, can't afford the actual truffles) . Happily my daughter who disagreed strongly with me about that has recently moved out of home.

A view of my bath:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/wajo65/693c5755-b919-4d08-832b-71fb32853be5_zpskrhezwpi.jpg

Of course, fungi netsuke are a whole other story:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v124/wajo65/netsuke_zpsythntzsq.jpg

あるはなきに勝る

0 Replies

visceral

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2017 08:57 pm
@nacredambition,
haha, threesomes are over rated....
Pearlylustre

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2017 11:41 pm
@visceral,
I didn't mean to intrude.I just happen to like mushrooms. Don't worry - I don't come here very often.

おじゃましました.
お元気でね。
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Which Mushrooms..(in cooking) ?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:15:35