Attitude Adjustment.

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:29 am
I haven't liked the person I have been becoming lately.

Back in May, the Mrs. and I bought a duplex. After a week of cleaning and painting we spent our first night there to find out we had a leaky roof which the sellers covered up by painting walls, not disclosing information and flat out lying about it when asked.

This caused complications in our life that, frankly, we just were not prepared to handle.

The leaky roof caused complications in other parts of the house which cost more dollars, took more time and resulted in us not being able to rent out the other unit which we were going to use to help pay our mortgage.

The downpayment for the duplex and the cost of supplies for the roof pretty much drained our savings.

The lawyer we hired to represent us proved himself to be incompetent and lazy which resulted in the wasting of 4 months and leaving us back at square one.

Besides that I started another job which paid more but did not offer insurance (the Mrs. doesn't have any either). To remedy that I got a part-time job that offered insurance for working 20 hours a week. I am putting in 40+ hours a week at my first job and 20+ hours at my part-time job for insurance. I don't mind working that much, but I miss seeing my wife and all the time I spent working was time I couldn't spend fixing the house and getting it ready to rent.

I am generally a good natured happy person. I handle stress and problems well and don't generally let life's little speed bumps get me down. But for the past 5 months I have been a very unhappy person.

I began resenting my jobs for making me work so much just to be able to have health insurance. I hated going to work. I hated being at work. I hated the people at work. I hated them for taking up so much of my time. I hated them for taking time away from my wife and I hated them for taking up so much of my time that I couldn't get the house ready.

The house was looming over me like a gigantic storm cloud. Every second I wasn't working at a job, I was working on the house. Every second I had to myself I felt guilty for not working on the house. I began not sleeping well. I began not eating well. I quit working out because I just didn't have the time to do it.

EVERYTHING in my life was a source of frustration and anger.

I started taking things out on my wife who was getting just as frustrated and tired as I was. We both looked to each other for strength but we didn't have any left to give to each other.

Each day I grew angrier and angrier and bitter and more bitter. I began not liking myself.

So last week I decided to change. I could continue on this path of self loathing and hatred or I could change what was causing me to feel that way. I just didn't have enough time to do everything I wanted or needed to do. So first I attacked the house. I barely slept for a week but it is done (minus hanging a few new light fixtures). I re-roofed, re-decorated, re-wired (with help from my wonderful father-in-law), re-tiled, cleaned, scrubbed, painted, and cleaned some more. We put the For Rent sign out yesterday.

Number two on our list was finding a new lawyer. We began another search for a competent one this time to help us with the original sellers deception.

Number three is a new job. This one may take me awhile but now that the house is done I have time to update my resume and portfolio.

It is amazing what one can accomplish when you put 100% into something. I am happier, less bitter and more energized then I have been for months. My job doesn't bother me as much and I can again smile at people. Most importantly to me, I can give my wife the attention and kindness that she deserves. Life is again good. Thanks for taking the time to read my little story.

jpinMilwaukee
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,383 • Replies: 38
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:33 am
Good to read that you're feeling better, jp.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:41 am
Go jp!!

I know just what you mean, have been there and done that under similar circumstances (minus the house -- eek.)

Glad to see you back, especially glad that you are in such a good place.

(I'd say that's all really good preparation for getting ready to have a kid, too... ;-))
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:46 am
WELCOME BACK JP! missed ya... yup I did. glad to hear that you have once again grabbed hold of your life and put it where you want to be instead of letting it take you where it wants to be. where do you live? what kind of job are you looking for?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:49 am
jp, glad you are back and feeling better about yourself. I have the same problem, my friend, and you are right. One thing at a time plus determination.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:56 am
Thanks everybody. I'm glad to be back.

Seed,

I live in Milwaukee and am looking for a graphic design job. I have one now but it is in a in-house firm for a large corporation. There are to many restrictions that are limiting my creative juices and I just need to get out before I explode with to many good ideas that I can't use.

Soz,

sozobe wrote:
(I'd say that's all really good preparation for getting ready to have a kid, too... ;-))

That is on our list... right behind a new job. I'm getting quite excited.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 10:59 am
ah so i see... i should have guessed where you lived by your name... silly me... my girlfriend is a graphic designer as well... she is working for a company right now that is small but doing a tremendous amount of business. have you ever thought of doing free-lance work?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:08 am
Yeah, I do quite a bit on the side... it was just one more thing that was adding to my stress level so I quit taking jobs for awhile. I'm hoping to start up my own company one day so I am always looking for more clients to help me with that.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:11 am
understandable... i hear that from Camden all the time. but she is still taking on clients. she wants to start her own aswell... she wants to do a graphic design/photography studio.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:16 am
Perhaps the two of you should get together and start a business?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:19 am
jp is in Mil. camden is in NC... kinda hard to do that isnt it...
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:22 am
oops. sorry. didn't realize. go ahead and stone me for mis-speaking.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:23 am
lol no worries... if it could work... heck i'd tell camden
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:25 am
Kristie... with an avatar like that I wouldn't even think of stoning you.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:26 am
he he....i am feeling especially melodramatic today. please excuse.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 11:27 am
nope no stoning for you at all kristie
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:05 pm
I checked my messages during lunch... 2 inquries about the apartment. Life just keeps getting better and better Smile
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:07 pm
can i move in Jp? im trying to get out the house.... Smile
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:14 pm
You can live in this beautifully remodeled two-bedroom upper. Included are: new appliances, two off-street parking spaces, laundry in the basement and, a city living rare, large yard for your BBQing pleasures.

A living room as well as formal dinning room with built in china cabnets, very generous closet space and a extra back room for storage can be yours for the low low price of $650 a month.

Whata ya say, seed? Wanna move to beautiful Milwaukee?
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Mon 25 Oct, 2004 01:17 pm
man that sounds so very nice... and milwaukee.. never been there... but would love too. if only it wasnt so far away... shucks... man...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Attitude Adjustment.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 03:19:41