Dentistry lags

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:58 pm
At 86 I'm grateful to modern medicine for still being here but I find some aspects of hunamoid care lag a bit. For instance I asked my dentist to make a crown for the gap formed at the middle of my lower set, caused by the installation some years ago of a front upper set made of a material harder than the teeth, an obvious defect since corrected by the Dental Establishment. So these few were so far worn down that eating anything hard hurt the gum below,

However, they seemed baffled by my need. While I wanted to cover just those 4 or 5 teeth that had been worn down, I was advised that the only sort of fixture available curved clear around toward the back, covering other more nearly normal ones, which would have been an incredible overkill. So they (reluctantly) suggested having it made that way anyhow, then cutting off the excess from both sides, leaving a small "V" to cover the gap

The idea worked beautifully, the new appliance snapping right into place. Golly, I thought, but if The Industry had had any sense at all, it could have made 'em in white material, shaped look like teeth; but I guess that's too much to expect after only 400 years of Dentistry Advancement? So I slid 'em in using Fixodent and now successfully eat with 'em, painlessly now.

As it turned, out, the gadget was 'way thicker than I had specified, and there were a few bumps here and there that I had to sand off but otherwise it works just fine. But here's an open letter to the Dentistry Bunch: Guys, you just gotta catch up quicker!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 895 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 01:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Back in the dark ages when women very rarely got into med school (early 60's, pre civil rights act) I had a momentary pause to consider trying to get into dental school. Trouble was, I just didn't want to. Now, all these years later, I'm pleased I had that insight about not being interested. I would probably have been miserable but would have accumulated more in the bank. No matter.

I had sort of a crowded mouth, teeth wise, and when I was 20 or so, had a tooth or two pulled and some caps fixed on. I've no idea if caps are still used, but my caps were and still are white. They are different looking than the other teeth, but they work, which is the key thing.

I am mildly discomfited by many americans' need for perfect white teeth. I can see orthodontia as a real need for some, of course. Many times when I see photos of people in Britain and the persons' teeth are visible, that reminds me of my childhood, when a lot of people had imperfect teeth. I like the photos.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:02 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thank you Osso for that rerpt
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:23 pm
@dalehileman,
Doncha wish they'd give ya just a li'l' more time...
TAATANE note, that s/b 'report'; my most sincere apolos
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:37 pm
@dalehileman,
Copy to L to E, Victorville DP
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:40 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
sincere apolos
Oops TAT, 'apologies'
Honest
Nah
dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 03:18 pm
@dalehileman,
So I tried it out by gnawing a huge chunk of jerky; and BEHOLD it stayed ion! The Mouth “Managers" should be as competent as the Adherent “Engineers."
dalehileman

Reply Sat 25 Feb, 2017 06:14 pm
@dalehileman,
The “Engineers” won’t listen to amateur inventors (like me), e.g., “1920’s incubator baby dies at 96…” Feb. 26, “…barely 2 pounds when she was born…after her parents put their faith in a sideshow doctor…who put babies in display in incubators fund his research…” Another example of Survival Systems’ interdependence and their inability to keep up with one another: When the power went out Saturday, we no longer had not water nor telephone (When we were kids, didn’t they still work?); but we were glad the toilets still flushed. “It was like campin," says my Better Half.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Dentistry lags
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 05:48:12