How do you explain to someone who doesn't believe in God or a higher power about spirituality?

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 01:37 am
How do you explain to someone who doesn't believe in God or a higher power about spirituality?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 478 • Replies: 9
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:45 am
@visceral,
In my opinion, 'spirituality ' need not be predicated on belief in 'a higher power'. It can simply be an awareness of all we call 'life' or perhaps 'consciousness' such that concern with 'self' is transcended. That transcendence can also manifest as an awareness of the illusion of 'time' in which normal concepts of 'individual existence' are usually anchored, and hence a transcendence from attachment to ' personal goals' or acquisition of status or 'things'. Obviously, some religions contain elements of self transcendence but they tend to add the oxymoron of a 'caring higher power' the 'unity' of which is a blatantly human construct akin to the construction of any 'individual with a purpose'.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 05:29 am
@visceral,
What is it you are trying to explain exactly? We all know what it's like to be human already. What is it that you think non-believers don't already know about spirituality?
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 05:41 am
@visceral,
I don't think you can "explain" spirituality — the word itself rather questionably and overconfidently assumes the existence of "spirit". You can describe your experience, how it affects you, and what you think it might mean but you can't explain something so subjective, fleeting, and immaterial.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 05:45 am
Don't push it or they will push back.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 05:28 pm
@visceral,
Visc it's very important you explain how nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else. The apodictical existential pantheist maintains that She is the Universe, and all the activity therein is She/He/It thinkin'

Once you grasp this you will see She is a natural phenom, doesn't do anything supernatural. As for Godliness, the principle I've quoted, it's just as true to call all this 'God' or not as Fres implies above

Same applies to 'spirituality'
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 06:53 pm
@visceral,
visceral wrote:

For me, spirituality is a very vague term. It gets tossed around as if it's well know obvious thing but it's far from that. I think self improvement is a better term because essentially it boils down to what tangible traits the person ends up addressing anyways when questioned on why spirituality.
0 Replies

visceral

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 12:02 am
@fresco,
What a great explanation !....I have been trying to give a good analogy to my daughter w/ her sobriety and keeping it. Thank you.....
fresco

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 03:08 am
@visceral,
You are welcome.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2017 11:12 am
@fresco,
Thanks, bothaya guys
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you explain to someone who doesn't believe in God or a higher power about spirituality?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 10:53:54