Relative clause and modifiers

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:38 am
Hi, would you clear up one sentence? When I read it the first time, I found that it is ambiguous.

I asked the man whose car was in the driveway for help.

The author of the textbook gives example of a relative clause "whose car was in the driveway" to the noun MAN; I considered "whose car was in the driveway for help" as a direct object to the verb ASKED (asked what?). So, maybe it would be more clear to replace for help after the verb ASKED?

I asked for help a man whose car was in a driveway.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 277 • Replies: 5
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 12:58 am
@Sweet-sweet,
My feeling is that the original is perfectly clear. We know exactly who is being asked for help.

The last just sounds stilted. Kind of like "Last night to the theater we were going".
Sweet-sweet

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 01:02 am
@roger,
Of course your sentence sounds weird, you replaced adverb phrase on the beginning of sentence before noun and verb, it's not the same what I have asked. Thanks for your time anyway)
roger

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 01:04 am
@Sweet-sweet,
I was trying to give another example of a truly stilted sentence. You're welcome for the time.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 02:32 am
Like Roger said, the first sentence is clear to a native English speaker. If it strikes you as wrong, perhaps the following:
I asked the man whose car is in the driveway to help me.

Or

I asked for help from the man whose car is in the driveway.
Sweet-sweet

Reply Fri 24 Feb, 2017 09:07 am
@Blickers,
Sounds good and understandable to me now. Thank you.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Relative clause and modifiers
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:05:39