Sherlock Holmes and Arsène Lupin's murder riddle. Please help me to solve it.

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:04 pm
A Friend of Mine recently sent me this riddle, and I can't solve it, this gives me insomnia so please try to solve it to help me.
This one's really hard but Itrust you guys ! ^^

Here is a transcript of an actual conversation between Sherlock Holmes and
Arsène Lupin. Nothing has been changed.
Sherlock Holmes: All right Mister Lupin. Where were you and what were you doing yesterday when Mr Tronel was killed?
Arsène Lupin: I don't remember... Why do you accuse me? I didn't do anything... Oh I remember now, I was picking up my children at school at about 5:30pm.
Sherlock Holmes: Your children? Give me the names.
Arsène Lupin: Lily, Elvis and Ilah.
Sherlock Holmes: What about their age?
Arsène Lupin: I can only tell you that the product of their age equal thirty-six.
Sherlock Holmes: I need more information Mister Lupin.
Arsène Lupin: Elvis is .... No... I won't give you their age. I can only tell you that the sum of their age is equal to the number from the address of the house in front of my flat.
Sherlock Holmes: I still can't find their age! Just tell me the numbers!
Arsène Lupin: Don't shout at me, please, I hate when people shout at me. All right, the eldest has got long brown hair....
Sherlock Holmes: Oh, okay I see ... But, now I know that you are not telling the truth. 
First, let me remind you that the conversation has not been modified in any manner.
Your task is to defy Sherlock Holmes. First, how can we know that Arsène Lupin is lying? (three elements at least are needed). Then, find the age of the eldest child.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 6,269 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 01:59 pm
@ThisIsAnUsername,
Factor the number 36. You only have a few options.
  1. 6, 3, 2
  2. 6,6,1
  3. 4, 3, 3
  4. 4, 9, 1
  5. 2, 9, 2
  6. 36, 1, 1
  7. 12, 3, 1
I think that's all of them. Assuming logic, then #6 is most likely to be out as that's a huge difference in ages, and we have no information on a second marriage. To assure all of the children are in school and they are there for so long, we should also discard any sets with a 1 in them. That leaves 1, 3, and 5.

We have no information on twins, so we can't discard 3 and 5 just yet. However, it's highly unlikely a two year old child would be in school. So we are left with #3 as the children's ages. Hence Lily (probably) is the eldest, which also dovetails with the long hair remark, which I think is a kind of red herring.

No idea why he's lying, except for the likelihood of children that young not being in school so late in the day.
ThisIsAnUsername

Reply Thu 23 Feb, 2017 02:02 pm
@jespah,
Actually I found 2 "lies" Just watch the first letter of each Lupin's line. The second i Found is that if you watch the initials of the children's names and you put them in a certain order, it makes LIE
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 12:49 pm
@ThisIsAnUsername,
ThisIsAnUsername wrote:

Sherlock Holmes: Where were you and what were you doing yesterday when Mr Tronel was killed?
Arsène Lupin: I was picking up my children at school at about 5:30pm.

Arsene knew at what time Mr Tronel was murdered.
Sherlock didn't ask: Where were you at 5:30 pm..
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 06:42 pm
Two sets of factors add to the same number but only one set has an eldest child.
0 Replies