Took down light fixture...opened a can of worms....help

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 07:04 pm
Hi, we are remodeling our bathroom and took down a ceiling light fixture and capped off the wires as we are not ready to put up the new fixture...we now have no electric in our bathroom or adjoining bedroom. Please tell me how to fix this...In laymans terms please. I have a pic of the wires if it might help...theres actually a lot of wires on the box so i dont know whats going on...thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 744 • Replies: 6
No top replies

hightor

Reply Tue 14 Feb, 2017 08:16 pm
Make sure the breaker for that circuit is turned off in the electrical panel.

Remove the wire nuts.

Separate all the wires by color. If your wiring is anywhere near code it should be 2 or 3 wires encased in plastic, a black wire, a white one, and a bare copper one. Make sure that the power is off once more (a circuit tester is your friend — touch one probe to black, one to white to test the circuit) and twist the bare ends of all the black wires together and secure them tightly with a wire nut. Do the same thing with the white wires and the ground wires (sometime the ground wires will be screwed to the box itself if the box is metal.)

When you turn the breaker back on at the panel you should have a live line and working lights. If the breaker keeps tripping you have a short circuit somewhere and you should probably call an electrician.
0 Replies

jerseygirl0370

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:31 am
Thank you for your reply...each of the wires -black, white and gteen-are capped off separately already...if that's what you mean...I wish there was a way to show you the pic I took.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 05:50 am
If you put the picture on a site, such as facebook, you can upload it from there to here. Just put this before the url [img] and then put this after the url [/img]
0 Replies

jerseygirl0370

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 06:35 am
I put the pic on my profile here....it's a mess of wires up in there.
hightor

Reply Wed 15 Feb, 2017 01:12 pm
@jerseygirl0370,
Thank for posting the pic — it looks depressingly familiar! Honestly, I'd have to get my hands in there to figure out exactly what's going on.

Were you able to turn off the circuit at the panel?

Did you have lights in the bedroom before you took the bathroom lamp down? Because I don't see any obvious signs of a disconnected wire. I don't feel confident enough in my long distance assessment to tell you exactly how to proceed. I'd really need to be there.

I did a little searching on this site and it's possible that user "carloslebaron" or user "dalehileman" could give you further advice. Household wiring isn't too complicated so possibly a "real life" friend who has a bit of experience could help you.
0 Replies

jerseygirl0370

Reply Thu 16 Feb, 2017 11:25 am
We did have lights before we took down the fixture...thank you...I'll try and find an electrician
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Took down light fixture...opened a can of worms....help
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 07:03:12