Is this stance grammatically correct?

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 03:37 am
The Supreme Court may well have to resort to making substantial incisions into a law making role.

Why the 'ing' form of verb used after 'to'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 366 • Replies: 7
No top replies

centrox

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 04:39 am
@devender,
devender wrote:

The Supreme Court may well have to resort to making substantial incisions into a law making role.

Why the 'ing' form of verb used after 'to'?

The form is correct. Stance is not the right word. The -ing form of the verb is a 'gerund'. That is a noun formed from the verb.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:11 pm
@devender,
After a life in Journ I can't hold a candle to Cen. I did however note just one absolute trivia: Shouldn't it be law-making or lawmaking

Alas tho Cen, what's wrong w/ stance
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:48 pm
The hyphen is optional. A stance is 1 the position or bearing of the body while standing, 2 a mental or emotional position adopted with respect to something 3 sports. the relative position of the feet, as in addressing a golf ball or in making a stroke.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 01:59 pm
@centrox,
The n Cen couldn't 2 apply to the use of ing by Dev

No response reqd Cen, just sorta kiddin'

But isn't Dev ender an interesting name

Edited to respond, wow Trox you're right in there. Seriously, how much time per day d'ya spend here
centrox

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 02:01 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

The n Cen couldn't 2 apply to the use of ing by Dev

No.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 12:18 am
@devender,
My stance is as follows:

How could a supreme court make cuts in to a law making role when courts do not make laws?

Incisions?
visceral

Reply Sun 12 Feb, 2017 01:02 am
@nacredambition,
lol.... the supreme court power is limited by the other branches of government, therefore any *incisions* are alternative facts....Very Happy
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is this stance grammatically correct?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:44:38