Feral Cat Question

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2017 10:55 pm
Mushi. He is a 'friendly feral' born in my outdoor space. Five years ago, just before a serious snow storm was predicted to happen, we (my husband and I) trapped Mushi's mother and two siblings. The family were living under a table and would certainly have perished when the storm came. I took the family to a vet, had them neutered/spayed then found homes for the mom and two younger siblings. But Mushi was too wild no one wanted him; so after neutering we let him go; but he kept coming back for food. Eventually he stayed, becoming a sort-of house cat...although my husband lets him out at night. We live in the back apt. on the ground floor and our outdoor space is connected to several backyards on the block with no way for him to get to the street. Mushi does not go out during the day because he is an accomplished predator and would bring home dead or dying birds....Anyway, Mushi has accepted all of my rescued dogs and even a few elderly cats; no problem. Until this past Saturday when I took in a 15 year old female cat named Tiffany whose person had died and left 4 cats. The rescue group on Long Island took the cats and placed 3 of them but no one wanted the 15 year old so I offered to foster her. Tiffany and Mushi had a hissing/growling face-off and then an actual fight, she being the seeming aggressor. I intervened in time and no one seemed to be physically hurt. After this I naturally separated them with a baby gate since I have no doors in my two room apt. . Mushi in the back room, Tiffany in the front. After this, Mushi withdrew and stopped eating. He curled into a ball and slept, refusing all food. He is usually a voracious eater. We began to worry. So I asked the rescue group to please reclaim Tiffany, which broke my heart as I had fallen in love with her sweetness. Mushi, being somewhat feral is not affectionate and even runs away from me (since I had to be the one to catch him to apply anti flea medicine); but I still love him.
So after Tiffany was picked up on Monday, I washed everything in the apt. that she had touched or lain upon so he would know she was gone. He was still in a seeming depression, not eating or drinking; only sleeping. On Wednesday, he is walking around and even drank some water, then asked to go outside. He came back within 15 minutes and went right back to his bed, rolled into a ball and fell asleep. Still not eating. I've approached him frequently, massaging his neck, which he allowed, but then he'd get up and run away. Now it's Friday and though he has eaten a little bit of food and drank some water, he is still curled up in a ball in a corner.
Does this sound like depression? Or do you think there could be something else going on? My husband has a good relationship with Mushi and is resistant to forcing him in a carrier and bringing him to be examined. He feels Mushi would never again trust him; and even feels Mushi may die. I think Mushi has an infection and is shutting down. My husband doesn't agree. He thinks Mushi is depressed. He is now lying by the entrance door to the apt. I have several pet beds and blankets, but he lying on the floor.
Thank you so much for considering offering your opinion.
Much Peace,
Sharon  
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 452 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Krumple

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:21 am
@SharonAzar,
SharonAzar wrote:

Mushi. He is a 'friendly feral' born in my outdoor space. Five years ago, just before a serious snow storm was predicted to happen, we (my husband and I) trapped Mushi's mother and two siblings. The family were living under a table and would certainly have perished when the storm came. I took the family to a vet, had them neutered/spayed then found homes for the mom and two younger siblings. But Mushi was too wild no one wanted him; so after neutering we let him go; but he kept coming back for food. Eventually he stayed, becoming a sort-of house cat...although my husband lets him out at night. We live in the back apt. on the ground floor and our outdoor space is connected to several backyards on the block with no way for him to get to the street. Mushi does not go out during the day because he is an accomplished predator and would bring home dead or dying birds....Anyway, Mushi has accepted all of my rescued dogs and even a few elderly cats; no problem. Until this past Saturday when I took in a 15 year old female cat named Tiffany whose person had died and left 4 cats. The rescue group on Long Island took the cats and placed 3 of them but no one wanted the 15 year old so I offered to foster her. Tiffany and Mushi had a hissing/growling face-off and then an actual fight, she being the seeming aggressor. I intervened in time and no one seemed to be physically hurt. After this I naturally separated them with a baby gate since I have no doors in my two room apt. . Mushi in the back room, Tiffany in the front. After this, Mushi withdrew and stopped eating. He curled into a ball and slept, refusing all food. He is usually a voracious eater. We began to worry. So I asked the rescue group to please reclaim Tiffany, which broke my heart as I had fallen in love with her sweetness. Mushi, being somewhat feral is not affectionate and even runs away from me (since I had to be the one to catch him to apply anti flea medicine); but I still love him.
So after Tiffany was picked up on Monday, I washed everything in the apt. that she had touched or lain upon so he would know she was gone. He was still in a seeming depression, not eating or drinking; only sleeping. On Wednesday, he is walking around and even drank some water, then asked to go outside. He came back within 15 minutes and went right back to his bed, rolled into a ball and fell asleep. Still not eating. I've approached him frequently, massaging his neck, which he allowed, but then he'd get up and run away. Now it's Friday and though he has eaten a little bit of food and drank some water, he is still curled up in a ball in a corner.
Does this sound like depression? Or do you think there could be something else going on? My husband has a good relationship with Mushi and is resistant to forcing him in a carrier and bringing him to be examined. He feels Mushi would never again trust him; and even feels Mushi may die. I think Mushi has an infection and is shutting down. My husband doesn't agree. He thinks Mushi is depressed. He is now lying by the entrance door to the apt. I have several pet beds and blankets, but he lying on the floor.
Thank you so much for considering offering your opinion.
Much Peace,
Sharon  

Check his pupils? Are they really big? Dilated?Does he focus on you when he looks at you or does it seem he looks past you? When you pet him is he losing clumps of fur?

I feed my cat raw chicken, she loves it. Its safe for them to eat raw chicken, they have the proper enzymes and digestive track for it. Why I'm saying this is to attempt to entice him with raw chicken. I usually warm it up in a bowl of warm tap water then drain. It cleans the chicken and makes it seem more like a fresh kill.

I also cut the chicken into bite sizes for her.
Its cute watching her eat it. She picks the pieces with her paw. If it was up to her she would have that every night.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 12:24 am
@SharonAzar,
I wouldn't worry about Mushi not trusting your husband. Cats' memories seem to be a little vague and short lived. He might end up with an aversion to a carrier and a car ride, but most cats seem to be born with those, any.

I've had experience with cats and feral cats going way back. If he isn't really sick, he will probably be a howling ball of fur and claws long before he's in the carrier. If he's seriously sick, he will probably be very accepting of the situation. Cats are funny about that, especially ferals that aren't used to being handled.

I hope he's okay, and resists like bloody murder. If he does, let him have his way and tell yourself you tried.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2017 01:23 am
@SharonAzar,
My wife and I rescue and care for many cats, some feral, some abandoned. First thing a vet asks when we have a concern is "Is he eating?". If the answer is no, we are advised to bring him in.

Mushi may or may not get over his dislike of a carrier and a car ride. But it's either that, or risk his death.

We'd bring him in immediately...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Feral Cat Question
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:10:14