Parentheses and punctuation

Nat093

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 03:39 am
Could you tell me please If I need a period at the end of the sentences in parentheses (i.e. after 'blood-pooling' and 'situation' )?

Authors X find a few convincing neologisms of this kind, including blood pooling (The make-up man is surely up for some technical prizes for the quality of his lesions and blood-pooling) and consumer-choice (It is supposed to help us make up our minds in a tricky consumer-choice situation).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 404 • Replies: 6
No top replies

centrox

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:47 pm
If the words form a complete sentence they should end with a full-stop (or question mark if appropriate). The sentence into which the brackets are inserted also has its punctuation. It must end with a full stop or question mark, outside the brackets, even if the brackets come at the end of that sentence.
Nat093

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 01:54 pm
@centrox,
Based on what you said, the sentence should be punctuated that way?

Authors X find a few convincing neologisms of this kind, including blood pooling (The make-up man is surely up for some technical prizes for the quality of his lesions and blood-pooling.) and consumer-choice (It is supposed to help us make up our minds in a tricky consumer-choice situation.).

One author writes:

...director-buying (“It was helped on Tuesday by director-buying and gained a further 12.5p.” (2001: 119)).

I wonder whether she uses the period at the end because 'p' is an abbreviation from 'pence', or just to close the whole sentence.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 02:59 pm
http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/quotation_(speech)_marks_punctuation_in_or_out.htm
dalehileman

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2017 05:47 pm
@Nat093,
Nat I dont know what our experts say, but I remember seldom seeing punct at such a loc
Nat093

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2017 03:00 am
@centrox,
Thank you.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 8 Feb, 2017 01:02 pm
@dalehileman,
Nat, Cen: As an experiment I picked a handy book at random, opened at random, and found

Quote:
...appear in iCal (go to the iCal preferences and check "Show Birthdays calendar").
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Parentheses and punctuation
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 02:23:00