Can anyone explain this electrical anomaly?

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 11:17 am
We are having issues with our home electrical. We occasoinally see a "brown out" which until recently was easily resolved by flipping the main. However, over Christmas this stopped working, and we ended up having our conduit replaced. Yesterday, we experienced another dip, except this time the power would come back up when we ran the dryer then fluctuate as the thermostat in the dryer cycled. We then unplugged the fridge to put it on an extension from the neighbor's, and the power came back full, with some occasional flickers throughout the night. So, in essence, when the fridge was plugged in we only had full power while the dryer was on and heating. This morning the electrician found one leg of the main breaker tripped, even though we had checked it last night. Now, before the electrician sorted that, I showed him the phenomenom of the dryer situation and he initially was concerned that something had become "neutral" and was somehow feeding electricity back into the house. What? Can anyone weigh in on this and help me understand? Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 389 • Replies: 8
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 12:23 pm
@gefram82,
It it's not a short causing one of the three (?) breaker to trip out, then it sure does sound like a prob in the neut. Eng et al you doubtless understand what I mean to convey and can explain in more detail
McGentrix

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 02:54 pm
@gefram82,
could be a few things. Electrician is good idea to track down and fix problem.

https://blog.1000bulbs.com/home/what-is-causing-my-house-lights-to-dim
centrox

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 04:50 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
Electrician is good idea to track down and fix problem.

Otherwise you are guessing.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2017 09:17 pm
@gefram82,
Get a volt meter and check every plug. Itll tell you if there is any neutral draw and which plug it is. Go around the entire house checking all of them.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2017 12:03 pm
@Krumple,
Good'n' Krump
0 Replies

gefram82

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:22 pm
@dalehileman,
The electrician wants to replace the entire panel, which is a hassle as our particular panel is no longer manufactured. HE believes that the problem is old breakers. I do not see why an old breaker would cause a reduction in power supply to improve while the dryer was operating.
gefram82

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 05:25 pm
@McGentrix,
Thank you for the article!
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2017 06:24 pm
@gefram82,
Gef you have my sympathies and for what it's worth--not an awful lot I'm afraid--I'd agree that what he wants to do sounds like overkill. From 18 years on a2k I've long noted that electrical problems are the typical homeowner's nightmare
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can anyone explain this electrical anomaly?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:24:06