vs. or vs for versus

Nat093

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 02:17 pm
I wonder whether I should use a full stop after "vs", and what it exactly depends on.

Which form is more common in British English?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 696 • Replies: 7
No top replies

centrox

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 02:24 pm
If an abbreviation consists of the first and last letters of a word (e.g. 'vs' for the Latin word versus, Dr for Doctor, Mr for Mister, St for Saint and so on), the American rule is to include a full/stop period at the end. The British norm, however, is not to use a period at the end.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2017 03:15 pm
@centrox,
...tho many of us Yanks lean to the Brit
0 Replies

Nat093

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:31 am
@centrox,
Following this rule, I conclude I should include a period after 'etc.', as it does not consist of the first and last letter of et cetera.
However, Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English writes:
etc. (also etc British English)

I am a little bit confused now.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:39 am
Decide whether you are writing British English or American English. If British, do not follow etc with a period. If American, use a period.
Nat093

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 06:48 am
@centrox,
But there is a common rule in British English (you even told me that): If an abbreviation consists of the first and last letters of a word, a period is normally omitted. If the abbreviation consists only of the first part of a word, then you should put a period at the end.

So to me, abbreviations like 'Prof.' or 'etc.' are written correctly that way.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 07:52 am
So use the period. I
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 13 Feb, 2017 09:34 am
To complicate matters ('cause I'm a stinker), at least in America, lawyers and judges just use v.

As in:
Brown v. Board of Education
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » vs. or vs for versus
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 08:43:21